Betta Fish Forum banner

Possibly breeding this Black Orchid?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Mal72 
#1 · (Edited)
I do not have any definitive thoughts about breeding at the moment; however, I recently purchased this Halfmoon that may have potential. If I had to guess, I would say that he is in the 3-6 months range and very eagerly makes bubble nests after every water change. I have another Black Orchid HM, but his fins are more rosetail. I just wanted to know if I had any plans for breeding if he is a good choice?(provided I could get a good female) If not, I still love him regardless. :-D Thank you for the feedback.

I'm sorry about the random glare on his face.

#2 ·
Love his coloring! His anal is a bit long but I'm finding that common in HMs. If you find yourself a female to compliment him, and you have your set ups ready and a growout tank I say go for it - plus he is a good age to breed as well.

#3 ·
I agree that his anal fin is pretty darn long but the right female should correct that in the fry

#7 ·
The main thing I notice on him is that his first and last tail rays are pretty short making him look like he doesnt have a sharp angle like he should. Not saying to scrap breeding him because of that, just saying find a female that has that sharp edge when she flares to help correct it.
Other than that I think he'd be a good canditade.

#8 ·
Definitely! A female with the sharp edges would compliment him :3 that's the fun with breeding... Getting a great pair to compliment each other and see what the results are (especially with colors)

#9 ·
Thank you for the feedback everybody! My only hesitation is that both of my chain Petstores have only CT or VT females. I would prefer to have a HM female if I could...Honestly, the females have been a bit slim. I'm thinking of starting a sorority soon, so perhaps, I will find one when I do that. :)

#10 ·
Check out Aquabid - sure they are more expensive and you have to pay for shipping BUT... Better quality, plus depending on where you are they may be close by anyways.

#11 ·
Yea I've checked AB, I'm just looking for the right one to pair with him. He's got blue eyes too--not that you can see them in this picture--and I really want to pick a great female. Momma's not supposed to have favorites but.....:p

#13 ·
Wow she is gorgeous (from a completely I'm-addicted-to-Bettas-and-already-have-7-standpoint.) I have no idea if she would complement him either, but I really do love her.

And, yes we are. Born and raised here :) Although lately I'm not sure I'm still in Florida--on account that it has been FREEZING! Of course, you're further south than I am, but I'm still on the coast.

#15 ·
Lol I'm moving to St. Augustine soon. It's colder here in Indiana! 2F with a wind chill of -14F!

Still, gorgeous female. But, if you decide to go with a CT the you might get some halfsuns. That would look pretty cool with his coloration.

#17 ·
Lol I'm moving to St. Augustine soon. It's colder here in Indiana! 2F with a wind chill of -14F!

Still, gorgeous female. But, if you decide to go with a CT the you might get some halfsuns. That would look pretty cool with his coloration.

Ooh awesome! I could definitely show you around. I love it and hopefully you will too! And....it was 40F yesterday, but today it's 68F and sunny. Still considered "cold," but with the sun it is not so bad. haha.

#16 ·
EXTREMELY round edges. Should have more branching too. I doubt he even goes to the full spread and if he does he barely makes it. Stair stepping in the dorsal. He should have a broader dorsal, thicker ventrals. He has too much iridescence on him. His caudal is also too small meaning it doesn't along with the dorsal and anal. He anal is too long aswell. It looks like uneven branching and there's a few short rays on the anal aswell.. I would not breed this fish. Wayyy to much work to fix all of the faults. I completely disagree with all. The people who said it can be corrected with the right female. It'd take multiple generations IMO

#18 ·
It's okay. As I said, I have no immediate plans to breed any of them. If I was, this seemed to be the best candidate. I appreciate the feedback, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.