Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #1 
jojobean119

Thank you!

Just wanted to post here and say thanks for the great website. I have had a few betta's in the past, and always believed when people said they liked small bowls and all that good stuff..my other 2 betta's I had did fine for 2 years. They seemed happy and were always making bubble nests, so I further believed that was how they were supposed to be.

Well I haven't had any betta's in a few years, and I got one about a month ago. Well this little guy (McDreamy...for all the Grey's Anatomy fans ) seemed miserable. I had just a little tiny cube for him with no filter or heater. I noticed he wouldn't eat, and stayed at the bottom of the tank most of the time.

I decided to google what could be wrong and I got so much information from this website. After seeing how cruel it actually is to have them in a little cube, I immediately went and bought him a ten gallon tank with a heater, filter, plants, toys, etc. I waited for it to cycle and then put him in...and oh my goodness, he is a completely different betta! He swims all around goes in the little log I got him. He comes right to the surface when put food in there.

It is so cool to see him come alive and not look miserable moping around the bottom..and I feel awful for believing the false info that I heard before...but I owe it all to this website and all the wonderful posters on here :)

My next payday I want to get one of those betta hammocks and some more plants and stuff.

The only problem I am noticing with him now though is when I feed him he seems to still spit some of the food out. I have tried pellets and flakes. I tried crushing up the flakes a little bit and it seemed to help, but I just want to make sure that could be the problem and not something more serious..Also, it's only been a few days since he's been in there so maybe he's still adjusting.

Wow that was long, but I had to let you all know that you helped McDreamy and me so much :)

Oh one last thing..for some reason he seems to LOVE the thermometer. He sleeps next to it and always moves it around haha.
jojobean119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 
callistra

Make sure you remove the wire from the hammock.

What have you tried to feed? I like New Life Spectrum Betta and Omega One Betta Buffet.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 
jojobean119

Right now I Just have the BettaMin brand food from Walmart. I'll have to check the local pet stores and see if they care those brands and give them a try..and thanks for the wire tip. Do you have any hammocks and do your betta's use them?
jojobean119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 
osromatra

BettaMin food, in my experience with my other bettas, isn't worth a hoot. Maybe try soaking it in organic garlic juice? I feed my current betta New Life Spectrum and he loves it. He'd gorge on it if I let him.

Mine loves the thermometer too. I've noticed he loves anything thin, smooth, and reedlike, and likes to curl around it and just sit there. I am assuming it is similar to his natural habitat (maybe sticks or reeds?) and that's why he is drawn to them. I bet he'd love a plant with smooth leaves, like an anubias. Mine usually sleeps in our corner anubias.

ETA- we have the hammock, and though he used it at first, now he doesn't. He prefers the aforementioned anubias, which we have in the corner of our tank.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote