Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #1 
stephenmontero

My Betta And Snails

I have had my betta now for 7 months and he is doing i great i am so glad i picked a betta over a goldfish lol. I got my betta a snail 3 months ago and they seemed to be doing just fine. (I had them in a 1.5 gallon bowl no heater or filter water temp around 75F) Tomorrow i am shifting them into a tank i have had running for a while (2.5 gallon tank with filter and heater keeping water at 78F) will my betta be more active because he hasnt made a bubble nest in 4 or 5 months and its worrying me. thats y i got him a new tank. Also could my betta reject my snail in the new tank? My betta tends to watch my snail with great interest except of course when i feed him lol. In the new tank will both still coexist with out my betta becoming stressed?
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #2 
MattD

I don't think you'll have any problems transitioning the tank. I'm glad to hear you've decided on upgrading. Your betta should show more signs of activity, since there will now be a current, and filtration which will keep the water clean and to his liking. If they were doing fine before, they will love it now. Although with a current now in the tank, you may not see a bubble nest again, depending on the flow rate. In a 2.5 gal though, I doubt there will be dead spots on the surface for him to make any.

Keep us updated, good luck.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #3 
stephenmontero

thats ok i guess i mean i know that the ultimate sign that they are doing good so i was hopind i would see more just so i no my betta is healthy and in shape to spawn. he seems to be ok (he spends most of his time at the top of the tank or in his cove or watching the snail) but i guess i just wanna see him make a nest lol
Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #4 
MattD

Bubble nests don't mean they're happy 100% of the time, btw. Just thought you'd like to know.

I'd say a healthy, happy betta is one who does build a nest, is nice and full, eats his share, is active, and flares often. A champion indeed. :D

If you plan on breeding, that's a whole new ball game. I don't have any first-hand knowledge breeding anabantids but plenty of others here do.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #5 
stephenmontero

yea i dont think i am ready to bread my betta eats everything i feed him. i have him on a varied diet of 2 meals a day. 4 days a week he gets 3 pellets in the morning and 3 more in the evening. 2 twice a week he gets freeze dried blood worms to shake it up. 1 day a week usally sunday i give him so freeze dried shrimp which he loves. then once a month or when i ever i go to the pet store i get him some live shrimp for him to eat.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #6 
MattD

That's a fantastic variance.

And what does poor mr.snaily get?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #7 
stephenmontero

mr snail eats algae wafers i break them in half and he swallows them whole lol a few hours before i clean the water i will feed him a piece of cucumber so he has something fresh and something different
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #8 
MattD

My snails also eat algae wafer. They too eat them whole, lol. They sit on them, an hour they leave and there's nothing there.

OWNED.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #9 
stephenmontero

yup that how they go out it i would give ur snails a slice of a cucumber and when u take it out notice where they were eating there is an indent its very interesting how they eat in a nearly perfect circular pattern. the owner of my lfs recommend i try canned green beans for my snail so i think after he settles into the new tank ill give that a shot.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #10 
MattD

Yeah they make wonderful swirls on the glass, particularly on the algae. You can track exactly where they've been in most cases. :D

Not to mention their mouths look like the Sarlaccs from Return of the Jedi: