Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 
Pasdio

Bloated Betta???

I'm currently prepping my betta for a new 5.5 gallon tank, and as I was looking at him today I noticed that one of his sides is a little bloated?
He's swimming just as normal, but I think his whole abdomen is a little bigger than it should be.

I'm a little paranoid right now because I recently lost my other betta to dropsy and I'm worried that it might be the same thing. The tank itself was long over due for a thorough cleaning so I'm in the process of doing that right now.

Do you think it could be over feeding? He has had issues in the past with his swim bladder so I usually just skip a day of feeding and he goes back to normal. He might be constipated and I've heard things like peas are used for such things, but I've also heard that those are too much for a betta's digestive tract?
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
Pasdio

I'm thinking about doing a bare bottom for a few days to see if I can monitor his poo because it's really hard to see with the type of gravel I currently have.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Epsom salt can be used for internal issues (like bloating, constipation and buoyancy control problems). It is a laxative (in both fish and people).

I've heard conflicting advice about feeding peas. Some people say it's OK. Others say it can cause internal blockage.

I would try adding 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon, to relieve any constipation or bloating issues. Make sure the Epsom salt is 100% pure magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Dissolve the salt completely in the new water.

Acclimate him slowly:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Add the Epsom salt, and make sure it is completely dissolved.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 -15 min, or even longer.
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until at least an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-13-2013 at 07:01 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
Pasdio

I forgot to mention I have just finished with a round of bettafix to sort out some fin rot issues but I figured that this wasn't really related??
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 
Pasdio

Here is an image from the front:

And from the side:

(I hope those aren't too large.)

Anyway, the darkness along the edges of his fins is quite normal for his coloring. The photos make it look black when in reality it's a vibrant blue color. Except for the very tips along his dorsal fin which is what I was treating for fin rot. So, does this give anyone a better idea of what might be going on?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #6 
callistra

The #1 cause of dropsy is poor water quality, so if you are slacking on your changes you could cause this again.

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

But at this point I would be fasting him the next 2-3 days and watch his poop. You can also add the epsom salt.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #7 
Pasdio

I'll keep him fasting for a few days in hopes that I'll finally see some feces.
To be honest I'm just really paranoid that something is wrong because I know how hard it is to treat dropsy. Hopefully he'll slim down some and all will be well.

I just really don't want to lose this little guy so close to the other one. :C Especially since I have almost all the supplies for his new tank waiting for him.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #8 
Pasdio

I've had him fasting for about three days now and he has gone pale in color. I offered him so food because I was worried he was weak or something and he won't take the food.
He still seems to be swimming fine though?

I feel like I just made the situation worse....
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #9 
callistra

Bettas can easily go weeks, or even month+ with no food. Not feeding him will not hurt him. Feeding him while he's constipated can kill him.

Did he poop during this time? What did it look like?

Please share more info at this time: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #10 
Pasdio

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Currently around 76
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air Stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze Dried Blood Worms and some wardley betta pellets, but he usually doesn't eat more than one.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm - I have since done a water change as it was time to do so anyway
Nitrite: -no test equitment yet-
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: Unknown
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's fairly bloated in the abdomen, especially on his right side-my left-where it looks like his has a slight protrusion that doesn't follow his natural body shape.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None until I began to fast him. He lost his color and was very lethargic when swimming, and looked slightly pink/red around the gills.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 days ago? He's always had a rounder belly but I didn't notice the protuding/swelling in his side until about 3 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fasting
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Has a history of getting bloated, but he generally would have issues with his swim blatter when it happened, such as being "stuck" at the bottom, or floating on his side at the top. Would fast him for about a day and his swimming would return to normal.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 3? Possibly? I've had him for a little over 2 years, and I don't know how long he was in the pet store before I purchased him.

--------------
I have not seen poop at the bottom of his tank, but he is not showing signs of being bloated other than his swollen stomach.

Last edited by Pasdio; 02-16-2013 at 06:35 PM.