Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #1 
Kiara1125

Betta Seriously Injured

Hello; I'm seriously worried about my CT, Titanium. My HMDT jumped over on his side of the divider and got into a fight during the night. I slept for 6 hours, so I don't know when it began. It wasn't a fair fight. Titanium went for Firefly's fins, while Fire went for Titan's face. Now, he has a bunch of scales missing, his eyes are cloudy, and he has a chuck missing out of his head. He's now sitting in a terra cotta pot. He's not laying down, but it scares me. I've never had a betta this seriously injured before. I've had bad lick with crowntails. My baby, Daeva, got into a fight (this time my dad took out the divider to be funny) and his fins were ripped. He ended up somehow getting sicker and it dragged on for almost a year until I decided to euthanize him from being so tiny and frail. Still, here's a video. Can someone PLEASE tell me what to do?!

My Poor Babies
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #2 
Kiara1125

Here's another video of the bettas going in order.

Titanium- victim
Firefly- perpetrator
Glacier- innocent petsmart rescue (still recovering)

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...ps63412822.mp4
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #3 
Noobalva

Hey Kiara, sorry to hear about that bad luck of yours...hopefully we can help you turn that around.

Personally what i would do for all the fin damage is double dose the API Stress Coat as water treatment to help with fin regrowth. Also increase water changes to at least 50%(preferably 100%) daily with added dose of Aquarium Salt(1tsp/gallon) - main thing is keeping the water clean and start acting preemptively so they don't catch anything from all the stress and fin loss.

Also i would get them placed in 3 separate Quarantine Tanks to minimize their stress from seeing each other; if you can't get that done, find a way to raise their fences so they can't jump over.

The salt treatment shouldn't be done for more than 10 day, by then you should be seeing lots of fin and scale regrowth; just continue with the Stress Coat for a bit, until you feel necessary, to keep the regrowth going and make sure to keep he water clean - test it daily and do the changes you have to to promote a clean environment.

Anyway, good luck Kiara. I truly hope everything goes well. :)

P.S. i've heard about something called Betta Revive that sopposed to be good for this aswell, but i have never tried it myself. Maybe another memeber could tell you about that.

Last edited by Noobalva; 02-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 
Perry the platypus

How often do you perform a water change? You might want to change the water more often to help keep bacteria from eating the skin that's healing.

Last edited by Perry the platypus; 02-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

Thank you. In fact, I just performed a water change last night. I do it about once a week at 50%. Unfortunately, I have no API stress coat around here and the Walmart stopped carrying the aquarium salt. I'm very frustrated, because now all I can do is perform daily water changes. They have to stay with the dividers, but I already fixed them, so that should be good. I just wonder what I can do. Titanium has a huge chuck missing from his head and he just hides in the pot. I'm not worried too much about Fire, because it's just fin damage (which, with his long fins happens quite often). I'm worried about Titanium, because he actually sustained scale/skin damage.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep his water super clean and nice and warm (82) and monitor for infection, also, lower the water or make the divider other.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #7 
Noobalva

Well this isn't usually my 1st choice, but API Bettafix can help. It isn't the great when actually treating for an illness but because it's from natural oils it does work as a preventative and aids with fin regrowth.

If you don't have any Bettafix around then you can use Melafix, just make sure you use HALF dose and instead of using daily like the bottle says, do it every two days - for no more then 7 days. If you do this make sure to keep a close eye on the bettas, but all should be fine in a 10 gallon tank.

I've personally tried both of these with bettas before, and they're good as natural preventatives and they do help with fin/scale regrowth. Melafix is safe when you lower the dose -- bettafix is just 20% dose of melafix but adding 18 drops/gal so it works out to a little over half dose.

Pretty sure that walmart carries those; i know that they're taboo in the world of betta care but they do work in the proper doses and when used for the right reasons.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 
Kiara1125

Will do. I'm currently walking to Walmart to see what they have. Lets see where $13 gets me. It's an hour wall and currently on my iPhone.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 
Perry the platypus

Well maybe perform a water change twice a week? Have you added AQ salt?

Last edited by Perry the platypus; 02-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 
Kiara1125

I don't have any aquarium salt. Hence why I'm going to Walmart to check if they have any. Is there anything I can substitute? Will a salt bath be ok for Titanium? That's how I fixed Glacier.