Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #1 
otter

Weird grey growth on anal fin?

My male betta moon has this weird grey growth and then missing fin underneath and I'm not really sure what to do about it. I have not treated him for the growth specifically, because I'm not sure what it is, but I was treating him for fin rot recently because he was tail biting which lead to fin rot.
I noticed this growth a few weeks ago, though it could have been there longer.

Tank size: 10 gallon divided w/ 3 male guppies
Heater: 80 degrees
Filter: 10 gallon bio- cycled
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 3ppm
PH: 8.1
Water changes: 40% weekly w/ added stress coat+
Betta age: about 2+ years

Here are some pictures... The growth is on the far side of his anal fin.. it is grey and there is missing fin underneath.

otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #2 
noreso

i hope its not this

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
noreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #3 
otter

I saw that!! and It scared me really bad! but highly doubt that it is that because he's had this for a few weeks and it hasn't spread.. hes acting perfectly healthy... no lethargy and he's eating ferociously

He looks pretty fine apart from the weird grey growth and his weird coloration on his chin.. it's like a 5 o clock shadow kinda haha
I think he's just getting old.. I've had him for a while and he went through living in a jar for about a year because I had no idea how to take care of him.
Hes great now though ^-^
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

A jar? It looks more like Fin Rot. It looks like the tail is starting to heal but I'm not sure...
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #5 
otter

Yes-- you know the myth that betta can live in mud puddles and don't need much room in a tank?
That's what the pet store told me when I was about 9, and until 2 years ago I believed that to be true. I am so glad someone told me otherwise-- and now I'm a fish fanatic! But sadly.. little moon lived in a jar. It was actually a decent size.. 4 gallons, but I changed the water maybe monthly, so there's that.

It does look fin rotty-- I will use some AQ salt or kanaplex on him then!
He was biting pretty bad last month because he was in QT after his tank mate developed weird red spots on him (I'm guessing septicemia), and he really didnt like being in a 1 gallon tank, so he started biting, and that lead to fin rot.. ugh.. I will treat him again!