Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1 
KateX

Unhappy Ammonia burns??

I am a new betta fish owner! I got my fish at petco I put him in a 5 galling tank. But I am worried about his skin around his face. The color of it seems to be off and I wonder if it's ammonia burn. If so how do I treat it? He seems to be swimming around and making bubble homes. But he doesn't seem to have a appetite. He always spits out the food I give him right away.
Attached Images

KateX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you're referring to the red coloration on his head spreading to his body that's his coloring. I have a male with the same type coloration. Some will spit out the food then suck it back in then spit it out then suck back in & finally eat it. What are you feeding him? Like people some things they'll like & others not so much.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 
Crowntails

My betta would spit out his food and then eat it. Just keep up with water changes and he'll never get ammonia burns.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 
techstud85

When Betta's spit out food consistently its the equivalent of them telling you they don't like the food itself. What are you feeding the Betta? I highly recommend a brand of fish food called New Life Spectrum. The small fish pellets are great and wont swell too much. There are also pellets made especially for Betta by this company that are equally as good. I have a finicky Betta and he will always go after them. Also, try giving him some variance like freeze dried Daphna every so often or even blood worms. Just make sure to pre-soak them a little so they don't bloat inside the fish. Hope that helps:)
techstud85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #5 
callistra

What food are you trying to feed?

His coloring is normal
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote