Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #1 
MediBedi

Post Drip system

How does the "drip system" work? and when do you start doing it? also how do you do it.. (setup, etc)
MediBedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 
Sparta321

The drip system is a simple loop in light, filter, or heater cords when plugged into an outlet. Since a fish tank should be placed above an outlet, the cords should make a loop, or basically extra cord before the outlet. I know I'm not really explaining it the best, so it kinda looks like -
------------------
l (tank) l \
l l \ <-- cords
----------------- \
\ / < and this is where the outlet should be.
\ /
This is where the drip loop is. It's purpose is to prevent water from reaching the outlet, which, of course, would result in electrocuting the fish, etc.
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #3 
Sparta321

Oh, darn. My little keyboard made picture didn't turn out right....basically it's a loop that water can drip from if it runs down the cord.
Sparta321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 
sarahspins

Drip system, not drip loop...
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #5 
Option

Lol....this has been a short but hilarious thread so far.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #6 
caissacrowntails

I think there are some diagrams or pic about the betta drip system aka betta barrack on the net, some have different "ideas" but it's main point is to ease your task in changing the water. Most people will recycle the water, and some don't, am trying to figure out the best setup to use too, not going to recycle the water though, cos it may spread disease if any of the bettas get sick. Sure u can always use UV filters to minimize the risk, but still...I won't take that kind of risk, cos basically my water is "underground well water" which will only raise my electric bill for the pumps.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Drip system as in refilling fry tanks?
Basically it's a siphon set to a minimum outlet. For gravity to pull the water down, the inlet must be higher than the outlet. . . . Say a bucket of water on the fry tank.
Fill the siphon tube with water and plug both ends or keep both ends level so water doesn't fall out. Plugged at the outlet, put in the intake (put tube in bucket) then place the outlet in the tank and release plug. Gravity should do the rest.

Thus far that's normal siphoning. For it to drip - say one drop per second, you can use airline valve and set it to the volume you want. Or you could use chopstick or something to plug the outlet so water on drips very slowly.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #8 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Drip system as in refilling fry tanks?
Basically it's a siphon set to a minimum outlet. For gravity to pull the water down, the inlet must be higher than the outlet. . . . Say a bucket of water on the fry tank.
Fill the siphon tube with water and plug both ends or keep both ends level so water doesn't fall out. Plugged at the outlet, put in the intake (put tube in bucket) then place the outlet in the tank and release plug. Gravity should do the rest.

Thus far that's normal siphoning. For it to drip - say one drop per second, you can use airline valve and set it to the volume you want. Or you could use chopstick or something to plug the outlet so water on drips very slowly.
How do you know about drip system/betta barrack in details, indjo? u made/used one before?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #9 
Myates

That's how I do mine.. I'll use glass gallon jugs or even clean water gallon jugs (like milk jugs).. airline tubing and a control valve (same as an air control valve) and let gravity do it's job :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
How do you know about drip system/betta barrack in details, indjo? u made/used one before?
I have been changing fry water this way, specially when breeding in 1g tanks - too many fry in such a small volume of water needs lots of water changes since the day I begin to feed them. I didn't read about it, more of a trial and error process in the way I kept all different fish species through the years.

I have yet to understand water though since I have never found reliable water testers. I've tried all sorts of products from different countries . . . but never tried buying online. None seems to be reliable.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote