Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #1 
Kboou2

PLEASE HELP! My betta fish is dying!

I've had my betta fish for about 5 months and he lives in a 3 gallon tank with light, and a filter. There are plants there as well. He used to be a happy camper and was very interactive and hyper but he's had a bloated belly since Christmas and it won't deflate. I've tried fasting him for two days and that didn't work. He doesn't have dropsy because his scales are still close to his skin, but the bottom of his belly is white and he is pretty big there. Not huge, just not the normal size. He's been eating normally, I only feed him one pellet in the morning and one pellet in the after noon.

This morning, I woke up and turned on his light and he was laying on the rocks on the bottom of his tank. He never lays on the bottom, always behind the filter or on the top of the water. He had a hard time swimming to the top of the water and is trying to eat his food but he can't. He keeps sinking back down and trying to get back up. He's also swimming kind of vertically. What do I do? I am aware that he may have a swim bladder disorder so should I get him a leaf to lay on the top of the water? Oh, and his right fin is slightly torn (I don't know how that happened.) Please help me, I'm scared out of my mind right now and I really don't want to lose my betta fish.
Kboou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #2 
Kboou2

And If I decide to give him a pea to try to get rid of constipation, can it be canned?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fill this out thoroughly-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Fast him for three days. At the end f that feed him a little bit of a thawed frozen pea, but preferably daphnia.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #4 
Kboou2

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 70 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta fish food by Tetra
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day; 1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I have not.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are slightly ripped, slightly duller, bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active, seems more scared
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 
Crowntails

You need a heater and raise the temperature to 78-80 degrees. He is losing color because he is cold and I'd switch over to Omega One Betta Food. Tetra is bad for your fish. Have you done the pantyhose test on your plants to test how sharp they are?

Also, you need to do a 50% water change every week, not every other. There will be ammonia and nitrite build up.

Test your water to. Get a test kit. Your water perimeters are probably the issue.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #6 
PaulO

What type of food is it flake or pellet? Also how many do you give him and how long is "feeding time"?
Also omega one is a good food but if that isn't available a lot of people also recommend New Life Spectrum, both should be available at petco and omega one should be available at petsmart not sure about the NLS. These foods do cost a little bit more but they come in a bigger quantity and are also more healthy nutrtion-wise for the fish.

+1 to the temp and water parameter advice VERY important for fish to have good water quality and temperature.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #7 
Kboou2

Ok, I tried getting a heater but they only have 5 gallon and up. Right now my betta fish keeps laying on the bottom... He never lays on the bottom. I keep making him swim back to the top but when I leave and come back, he's back on the gravel again. Feeding time is about 2 minutes. I wait for him to eat the pellet (I give him 1 per feeding. 2 feedings a day) and then I close his tank. I gave him a pea not too long ago and now he keeps laying on the bottom of his tank.

:/ Help!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #8 
Noobalva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboou2 View Post
Ok, I tried getting a heater but they only have 5 gallon and up. Right now my betta fish keeps laying on the bottom... He never lays on the bottom. I keep making him swim back to the top but when I leave and come back, he's back on the gravel again. Feeding time is about 2 minutes. I wait for him to eat the pellet (I give him 1 per feeding. 2 feedings a day) and then I close his tank. I gave him a pea not too long ago and now he keeps laying on the bottom of his tank.

:/ Help!
Like stated, sound like a quality control issue to me:

50% water changes per week, increase water temp to 78-82F( Marina Mini betta heater 8w can help a tank of ur size), and be sure to test your water accurately(api water master test kit is highly reccomended).

As for the bloating, lower the water level a bit to make things easier at feeding time. Also add 1/2 tsp per gallon; this is a muscle relaxant so it'll help with things like constipation or SDB. Shouldn't have to treat with this for more than a few days; if the swim problem continues you can add 1/8 tsp of it for the whole tank as a consistent therapeutic treatment - the low dose wont be enough to cause stress but it'll still help out as a relaxant and it you have plants they'll absorb it to promote photosynthesis.

Fast him for the duration of the Epsom Salt treatment(bettas can go 4-7 days with out eating so it'll be ok) and really you should only feed him once a day, no more than 5 pellets(or equivalent). You should NOT feed him a pea, extremely bad for their digestive tract because it cannot be digested by bettas (that's why it acts as a laxative).

Goodluck Kboou and keep us posted on his condition.

Last edited by Noobalva; 02-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #9 
PaulO

It would be better to give him some peace, now lets talk heaters what stores do you have in your area? I keep an empty 2.5 gallon tank and the heater I have for the tank is a marina c10 heater meaning 10 watts. When choosing a heater you usually want 3-5 watts per gallon. That heater I mentioned is preset I will give you a link.
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...AvailInUS%2FNo
This is just an example, I would recommend driving to the store to buy a heater as the sooner we get your betta warm water the better. Another option you have is buying an adjustable heater but generally they only go as low as 25 watts. The solution is this you would set the heater to 75 or even 74 and it should heat the tank up to about 78 or more.

The second thing to buy is a thermometer, dont get the stick-on sticker ones get one that goes in the water like this http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 
PaulO

These are supplies you'll find at a petsmart, if you go to petco they have a preset 10-15 watt heater that is made by tetra. If you decide to upgrade your tank in the future I recommend either ehiem jager or hydor theo heaters as they are a reliable brand. Also fun fact a betta's stomach is about the size of it's eye.