Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Angry Petco RANT!

Hey everyone, been awhile since I've been around here but I've still got 4 lovely boys! I was in petco today just browsing, and they had a bunch of individual males in the large aquariums as I've seen them do before. But today there were not two, but THREE males together in one aquarium! One red veil tail was all bit up, stuck upside down to the filter intake but his gills were still moving, the obvious winner veil tail was flaring at all the platies. The third male looks like he would have been a delta or DBT marble but his tail was completely gone and he was floating in the corner looking like he has swim bladder problems! Ugh, I stood around for a half hour with other angry customers since they had a whole 2 employees both at the registers. I really wanted to leave a note or something on their counter but I didn't have anything with me and I couldnt wait any longer. Makes me so upset! I think I'll go back tomorrow to see if there's anyway the delta survived the night. Even if he did do you think they'd let me buy him or have you guys every asked to get a fish from petco discounted or for free? I know sometimes even if you say something they won't let you buy them because it is against their policies to sell a sick animal... Anyway I don't think I'll be able to leave him there if he is alive tomorrow, ideas?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

They had three males in the same tank!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Definately say something, they cannot be allowed to get away with that.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #3 
kimt

I would certainly mention it but I would be calm and collected. When you are angry, they are less likely to listen to anything they say. Make sure you mention the bottom line, they cannot sell dead bettas. Petco is in the business of making money, if bettas die, they lose money. The petco near me does a pretty good job with the bettas. I've only seen one dead betta there and his cup was so dirty, I couldn't tell the color of the dead betta floating in it. It was strange because the cups are usually clean. It was like one betta got forgotten on water change day. The babies don't do well but I think it is because they are starved because they feed them pellets. Last time I was there buying flakes, I opened it and fed all the babies before I bought it. I rescued a baby betta a couple of weeks ago. No luck on trying to get it for free. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it and the stupid check out girl swirled the water all around trying to get it to scan. Thought she was going to kill him before I even paid for him. Thankfully, he responded very well to clean warm water with a bit of aquarium salt and a full belly.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #4 
Snoeflayke

Even if the only employees are on the registers, SAY SOMETHING!

That is unacceptable husbandry.
Get pictures, make a fuss! It can make a huge difference!

ETA: All my local pet stores know me now. They know that if they have a sick (anything) that I'll find it!

Last edited by Snoeflayke; 04-28-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 
isochronism

Poor little fish need someone to speak for them
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 
SerenaRena
Banned

3 males together!?! obviously the people working there don't know what they're doing. stupid pet stores
SerenaRena is offline   Reply With Quote