Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #31 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkLover View Post
I agree that more places should be willing to take in and adopt out fish.
^ Most of this isn't always about cost, it's about disease. There was a place we tried taking a fish to a few years ago, and he said that he wouldn't take it, because one owner surrender wiped out a big portion of his Freshwater livestock.

And whether anyone really likes it or not, that's how people who run fish stores see them, Livestock. They get them for pennies on the dollar, and then they charge $20 for those tanks I couldn't fit the contents of a can of soda into.

But there are times that you don't bother talking to the associates about the fish's condition, because then they take them to the back room to "treat them". Which is a direct death sentence for the fish.

So, if buying them for full price is no longer a rescue, then I have never rescued. I pity purchase. And that's fine with me, because I can't condemn them to die like that.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #32 
LinkLover

I can totally understand the disease part of it, but that's why they should be quarantined before being put into any water shared between the store's fish and the fish given up by the owner. And obviously that means more space, time, and money being dedicated to fish that aren't going to be making a profit for them, which usually means that store won't be willing to do so. But it would be nice if more small stores with employees who were really into the "hobby" (it's the easiest way to phrase it but I don't consider pets a hobby) could do adoptions on a small scale, only taking in a few at a time until the fish were given to new homes. My thoughts on this are probably unrealistic, I just naively assume that since I do what I can to go the extra mile for animals (and can't say no to those in need) that everyone else can do the same. :P
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #33 
veggiegirl

LinkLover- I agree, just a little effort can make a big difference. Just taking on three or five at the time can make a big difference in the long run.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #34 
Agent13
Reference Team

All I have to do is bring my animal activist 8yr old son into ANY petstore and if he finds any animal he knows about(which is most any animal!) being improperly cared for BOY oh BOY sh$t hits the fan and he makes sure it's to the manager. It melts my heart because this is not my doing...all his own. He literally runs off as soon as we come in the door and inspects all tanks and vivs. He has completely embarrassed quite a few store managers for their lack of knowledge and care for many different lizards and fish. My local Petco took the dress down the best however. Their dragons were too young to be selling and were on sand(deadly!) with improper temps and a few Bettas weren't in clean conditions. They sent him home with free supplies for his ADF's and dragon and still do to this day... also never seen a dirty Betta cup or dragons on sand again after that day haha. Don't know if they would give away a sick fish but I think they would given how they reacted to my son.
Whats cute about this is when he starts laying into them throwing out words like "sub par conditions" & "neglectful abuse" i a partonizing tone I feel like "who is this kid..my son is shy wth?!?" But seriously who can ignore an indignant and infuriated innocent child who could care less if every customer hears him?? If you guys need to borrow him just let me know
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #35 
Mar

You must be proud of your son!
Gimme him for a day, we'll go to all the pet stores and save all the bettas!

Lol, I suck at asking for discounts for sick bettas. I've tried to do it twice and was denied discounts. And these were pretty sick betta.
Money isn't really an issue, it's just that I rather spend that money on medicine for healing the betta instead of just buying the betta with no proper medicine
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #36 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Lol, I suck at asking for discounts for sick bettas. I've tried to do it twice and was denied discounts. And these were pretty sick betta.
Money isn't really an issue, it's just that I rather spend that money on medicine for healing the betta instead of just buying the betta with no proper medicine
That's just about where I am on the matter. The more I spend on the betta, the less I have to spend on rehabbing them.

And Agent, props to your son! That is awesome that he cares so much
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote