Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #1 
Juditko

PETCO pink silk plant warning!

The particular "silk" plant pictured:

RUSTED! because there are wires in the stems!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #2 
Juditko

Since it was my betta's favorite, I hacked it up, used some hotglue, and rebuilt it using plastic plant stems:

Just an FYI. I have other silk plants from Petco that do not seem to have the problem.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Were the stems bendy? Like would they hold a shape if bent? I think that's a good way to tell if there's metal in them.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #4 
madmonahan

I have that plant, I haven't had any problems with rusting, but I will have to check it.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #5 
Mal72

Ugh, Petsmart's "Topfin" silk plants were reported to have the same problem. I just reused the leaves. I mean, I only had them in seven fish tanks. Lolol. Honestly, who puts metal in an aquarium decoration? They have pliable plastic....We are running out of affordable options here...
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #6 
eemmais

Noo!! My betta loves that! He loves hiding in between the stems! I guess I'll just do the same thing you did, rebuild it ;(
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #7 
majesticstorm

Thanks for telling us! I was actually planning on buying that for my boy, but ended up getting those large background plants, hahaha. Lucky me. I wanted to get that during my next "Petco run", but I guess not...
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #8 
Juditko

I've learned so much here that I'm happy to share. I had actually purchased one of the top fin plants and then saw it mentioned here so I took it back. Yes, the stems were bendy...not much help to those of us who order online and don't get to investigate in person.

I just got some taller "naturals" silk plants. I think it is Hagen marina brand. Beautiful and I think all fine...passed the "bendy" test.

Yeah, really. Who puts metal in an aquarium plant?!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #9 
Vizja13

WHo puts metal in an aquarium plant? People who only care about making money, not the health of your fish

Judiko, the betta in your tag is stunning
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #10 
Juditko

Vizja, thanks! That's the second compliment he's received in two days... We are a Walmart story...that is a success story so far only because of bettafish.com...saw him and fell in love with the fish first--wrong! Bought a one gallon tank--wrong! Bought a 2.5 gallon--better, but for our lifestyle, still wrong! Now transitioning to a fully set up ten gallon with lots of amenities I read about here...I'm so thankful for this site!