Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #11 
Kiara1125

Lol, it's ok. Still, I believe the 4g is good for him. Does the tank have a filter? Because, if the tank has a filter, you won't need to change the water until something like every two weeks. Daily water changes are for bettas in small aquariums (such as a 1g) and sick fish. A betta in a 4g with a filter can go around two week without a water change. I have 3 bettas in a divided 10g. I added a filter, but when I didn't have one, I just let the tank go. Once it's established for several months and it has plenty of plants, you came adult go for a month or two without a water change. Of course, I've been keeping fish for 3 years and I tend to be lazy. xD just go with the flow of what you want and what works. I stare at my tanks for hours just watching the fish and learning what they like. Not saying that you have to do this. lol
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #12 
Tyler92x

It does have a filter however It was way to strong for him, the first day it pushed him around the tank so I had to cut some plastic retainers so the filter would not be so strong. It runs just fast enough to push water into the tank and a small stream to the filter.
Tyler92x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #13 
Tyler92x

Thanks again for the help work calls Ill post how he is doing in a few days
Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #14 
Kiara1125

Ok, I've had problems with that before. Plus, the filter was on the side of my doubletail halfmoon. Not a good idea. lol still, in about a month, that filter should be ok for taking care of your betta.bif you decide to add love plants, they help with filtering nitrates and will only benefit your tank. Live plants such as rotala rotundifolia, hornwort, and java moss don't take much to grow. They'll fill out your tank quickly and it looks nice. For instance, here's my 10g with the rotala, rose sword, java moss, and java fern. I love the way it looks. I have lights, but they'll grow fast under low light conditions as well. What I'm saying, is that if you decide to add plants, then it'll give your betta more hiding places, more places to rest, an area to provide more food to grow on (infusoria and algae) and it'll help cycle your tank faster and it can let you go longer without a water change.

My female plakat betta, Owl, and a Platy fry.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #15 
Tyler92x

Very cool I will have to get some real plants he currently has has a fake plastic plant he hides in and sleeps in most of the night, however I was worried about it tearing his fins sounds like a great Idea, Thanks !
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #16 
dougan

Exclamation

I'm not an expert, but FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Bettafix contains an oil that can make it difficult for Bettas to breathe. Avoid anything that ends with '-fix.' (Bettafix, Melafix, etc.)
Source: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=128157
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #17 
Kiara1125

That's why you use half the dose. I could've swore I mentioned that. Sorry. :/
Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #18 
PaulO

Well not only that some of the "fix" medications contain tea tree oil which can damage a betta's labyrinth organ. I am not sure how long the fish needs to be exposed for damage to occur but it may be that you just can't use it for extended amounts of time, once again this is something I am not completely sure but it is something I have seen said on this forum quite a few times.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #19 
callistra

No matter how big of a tank you get you still need to be maintaining it at least weekly. Probably more often than that

Are you running a filter?

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also does he have fuzzy spots? He looks like he's got a bacterial infection
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #20 
Kiara1125

It depends on the tank. I've been able to go several months without doing a water change. I would check the water weekly and it always stayed at or below 10ppm for nitrates. Everything else was 0. Once you get a tank established the right way and get a rhythm going, it can be "neglected" a bit. Now, for dirty fish like goldfish, it's a must to clean the tank. Other fish that aren't notorious for getting a tank dirty are ok in a way. In the wild, some places will go without rain for quite some time. If the area of water is cut off from circulation and fresh water flow then you have to see. It's the plants and the beneficial bacteria in the area that does all the work. Now, I'm not saying to NEVER do water changes, but I'm just pointing out that some tanks can take the "pressure" of being neglected.