Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #31 
LadyVictorian

Our answer to that is our good furniture is covered in sheets all the time aside from when guest come over then we take them off. That way they are not covered in cat and dog hair. Otherwise our living room furniture is like sitting on a giant hairball.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #32 
thekinetic

The only thing that irks me is people letting their cats free roam the neighborhood. You know what if dog owners get chastized for letting their dog do it's buisness in a person's yard than so should cat owners, same goes for leashes. And stop calling them free spirits because yall should realize what goes along with that name because in my county it is not illegal to capture and give to animal control a free roaming cat.

Now don't get me wrong I don't mind cats, I happen to like them but my dad and brother hate them with a passion. So for their own safety please keep them indoors!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #33 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
The only thing that irks me is people letting their cats free roam the neighborhood. You know what if dog owners get chastized for letting their dog do it's buisness in a person's yard than so should cat owners, same goes for leashes. And stop calling them free spirits because yall should realize what goes along with that name because in my county it is not illegal to capture and give to animal control a free roaming cat.

Now don't get me wrong I don't mind cats, I happen to like them but my dad and brother hate them with a passion. So for their own safety please keep them indoors!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

I swear I literally have to vacuum and dust this house every two or so days. We have three German Shepherds that are allowed access to the kitchen and the three cats that are inside 24/7 and it is amazing the amount of dust, fur and debris that builds up from them all.

We have three scratching posts for our cats, which are absolutely torn to shreds. They do scratch on the couch occasionally (our old cat used to hook his claws onto the bottom and race around upside down under there) and on the stairs, but most of their scratching energy does seem directed at their posts.

The only really destructive things our cats do is spray.

And is it just me or does fur seem to be in everything when you have pets? I'm always picking dog fur out of any food I cook here.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #35 
registereduser

I have mostly males and no spraying. However my oldest male is a HUMPER! He is also the same one that climbs up on cabinets and aquariums and drinks the water. He is my biggest cuddler

Hair goes with the territory as does destructive behavior of all sorts, both from dogs and cats. You have to have a patient loving attitude because they seem to sense your anger and act out even worse. Animals don't understand discipline after the fact, only if you continuously catch them in the act will they eventually get it.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #36 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I have mostly males and no spraying. However my oldest male is a HUMPER! He is also the same one that climbs up on cabinets and aquariums and drinks the water. He is my biggest cuddler

Hair goes with the territory as does destructive behavior of all sorts, both from dogs and cats. You have to have a patient loving attitude because they seem to sense your anger and act out even worse. Animals don't understand discipline after the fact, only if you continuously catch them in the act will they eventually get it.
Maybe I'm just lucky. My dog actually gets that he's in trouble. When I give him "the look" he tucks his tail under and lays down with his ears back, head down, and everything. He totally gets that he's in trouble. I just say his name and that's it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #37 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:

Are you talking to me with the second paragraph? I've lived with cats and dogs since I was in my mother's womb. I understand fur and poo and finding cats on benches licking your butter is all part of owning pets.

Me and my mum are huge animal lovers. The end goal is to hopefully move to the country in 2-3 years as mum wants to have space for her dogs and then we can build an outdoor cat run for all the cats. Here there's nowhere really to put one as the dogs have the backyard, our front yard is landscaped and both sideways are extremely narrow.

Of course we have crazy cat who would probably spend all day sitting on top of the cat run trying to get in so he can massacre everybody.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #38 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky. My dog actually gets that he's in trouble. When I give him "the look" he tucks his tail under and lays down with his ears back, head down, and everything. He totally gets that he's in trouble. I just say his name and that's it.
They easily understand when we are unhappy with them, the hard part is getting them to understand why. If your dog digs a hole at 10 am and you yell at him for it at 10:30 he knows you are angry but he doesn't know why.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #39 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
They easily understand when we are unhappy with them, the hard part is getting them to understand why. If your dog digs a hole at 10 am and you yell at him for it at 10:30 he knows you are angry but he doesn't know why.
Yea. I'd never yell at him 30 minutes after. My boyfriend was yelling for him to come inside but he wouldn't listen. I yelled (big backyard) and he came running to me (my dog did). Then I praised him for coming to me. My boyfriend didn't understand why. I said I can't punish him for not listening to you, especially when he listened to me. It doesn't work like that.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I hate when dogs won't come to people and then when they do come the owner yells at them. What a stupid backwards way of training. The dog doesn't have a clue that it is being punished for not coming five minutes ago.
Closed Thread