Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #71 
LittleBettaFish

I just meant that 'freedom' is really a human ideal. I think cats probably wouldn't grasp the concept of freedom. They are more interested in getting outside to stalk that bird they just saw in the window.

This is our old cat living it up inside. He would not stand still for a photo, but at least he is looking better than the animated bag of bones he was a few weeks ago. I think the only thing he misses about the outside world is the rancid meat the neighbour would throw out every day for the birds to eat. He brought home/brought up some foul things over the years.

Looking at his picture, I also thought of a point that angers me. People who dump old cats at the shelters because they can't be bothered anymore, have gotten a new, younger cat, or are just want to palm off the responsibility for giving their cat a dignified end to someone else.

My grandfather dumped his old cat off at the cat shelter without even telling anyone. My mum used to look after that cat and I liked him and we would have taken him in if he had told us. I never forgave him for that, but I think he got his just deserts in the end anyway.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #72 
registereduser

Letting your cat run the neighborhood "free", eh? Good luck with that.

https://www.asapcats.org/education/indoor-cats.html
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #73 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Personally, I only agree to let cats out where they can be supervised. In a harness or run. I watched too many cats get sick and die outside and I watched my own childhood cat die miserably. People poisoning and grotesque garbage, cars and infection and disease. Nope.

Market here on apartments, condos and even bedsitting rooms are on the rise. More and more people are finding affordable housing to be an issue, don't even get into the whole pet fiasco. I was lucky we scored with this landlord, pets are totally cool- but the shelters are bursting at the seams with so many surrendered pets bc of landlords.
Are you in Canada?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #74 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah no cats should be kept outside thats just asking for trouble and the loss of your cat, they depend on us to take good care of them they dont really know right from wrong unless we take some time and try and teach them. I love cats and some of the remarks made we disturbing to me too although I tried to help as best as I could.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #75 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

closed at moderators discrection
Closed Thread