Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #1 
beatlesmania

Exclamation What's Wrong!!!!???

My betta isn't acting his normal self, and doesn't look it either. here's the details

What size is your tank? Currently in a .5 gallon, was in a 3.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? around 20 Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? the big one does, the little one doesn't
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Giant Apple snail and fantail goldfish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water treatment.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color change, bloated?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not moving as much, hardly eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? had minor fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? just over a year

Last edited by beatlesmania; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
beatlesmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #2 
callistra

Fantail goldfish require at minimum 20g tanks and are cold water fish. They absolutely cannot live with bettas under any circumstances. They also require double filtrations.. so TWO filters rated for 20g

Your betta is suffering from ammonia poisoning at best, maybe an internal infection. Are his scales raised?

Bettas need 2 gallons minimum. I wouldn't even suggest keeping the snail with him in this size as it is very dirty. This size requires two weekly water changes of 50% and 100%. A 3.5g is small to try cycling but you can try.. it will always need two weekly 50% with siphon and this his him living ALONE.

Your betta fish is also freezing. Bettas are also tropical fish and need to be kept a constant temperature ideally between 78-80F, and no less than 76F. His bowl will be several degrees below room temp, which unless your house is kept a steady 80F+ he is freezing. This lowers his immune system and metabolism and makes it hard for him to get well and fight the ammonia build up. For this reason you NEED to get a heater. 25w will work in a 3g. Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a steady temp between 78-80f. Then he needs to be acclimated to the higher temp at no more than one degree per hour and 5 degrees per day, or by floating him in the already fully heated tank for an hour.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #3 
beatlesmania

It looks like dropsy, can you see the picture I posted? I just want to make sure before I start treating him.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 
callistra

Nope I don't see a picture. If his scales are raised it is dropsy. The dropsy is caused by chronically poor water conditions and incompatible tank mates.

Recovery at this point will depend on getting him in something of adequate size and temperature. I would still do 100% daily water changes, along with redosing of epsom salt and a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex. If you cannot try Kanaplex look for Triple Sulfa or possible Maracyn 1 and 2 in combo.

During the water changes you need to scoop him up with a plastic solo type cup, not a net. Rinse the whole tank thoroughly and refill with same temp water (match tank water to running tap using a tank thermometer), then float him in the tank in the cup for an hour, adding a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10minutes.

The epsom salts needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind. You should predissolve 1 tsp per gallon and add slowly over an hour. Once he's used to it you don't have to add it slowly again.

Treat with salts, antibiotics and daily water changes for 2 full weeks.

You also NEED to upgrade that goldfish or rehome him.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #5 
beatlesmania

How do i upload pictures? and the goldfish is in a bigger tank. I'm here for the betta, not the rest of my fish, who are fine and happy.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #6 
callistra

You need to go to advanced to upload.

You said your betta lived with a goldfish in a 3.5g tank.. it should live alone in a 20g with 40g filtration. Otherwise he's headed the way of your betta.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #7 
beatlesmania

ok here's a picture of him, taken about an hour ago
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #8 
callistra

He is definitely bloated and has swim bladder issues but I can't tell from the photo if his scales are sticking out.. are they?

I would still treat with epsoms and I would also fast for 3 days to a week while you monitor his poop. If his poop is not normal (white, clear or segmented) I would add the antibiotics.

what are you feeding him and how many does he get in a feeding?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #9 
beatlesmania

here's another picture. he's just eating regular betta pellets. usually eats about 4 or 5 before bed. His fins don't seem to be stick out. so regardless of what this is, whether it's dropsy or just swim bladder you recommend the salt baths and medications?
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 
callistra

It's just not possible to tell if his scales are sticking out. But you are there and you know.

Not salt baths. Put it in the tank he's in and leave it in there for 2 weeks, plus a few days of fasting to monitor poop. If the scales are also raised or his poop is not normal he needs meds as well.

Depending on the brand that may be too many for one feeding, and some are better quality than others and tend to cause this. No matter what you feed he needs a fast day a week to let his system catch up.

He also needs to be raised to an appropriate temp.. he's freezing to death right now.