Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #1 
Kiyi

Odd Betta Color Change?

I made a switch from incandescent to fluorescent bulbs a couple weeks ago, and since then, I've noticed something quite odd...

I have a red veiltail, with white markings on his face.

Now, when I turn on his lights, he's sees his reflection quite clearly I think, because he'll flare non-stop. After a few minutes of this flaring, I also noticed the white patterning on his face would start to turn red. You may be able to see a beginning of the red tint on the picture above, but it can get to the point where the white is almost completely gone! I was worried about this change, so I turned off the light, and after a bit, the white returned, clear. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I can't have him flaring all day, he tears his tail after twenty minutes of flaring, with no sign of stopping. So I'm kinda stumped. He didn't flare as much with the incandescent bulbs, but those bulbs raise the temperature in the tank 4 degrees in eight hours! So I've been just leaving his light off, he doesn't really seem to mind, and there's enough outside light sources anyway, so I'm really just curious about the color change.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Eventually he should get used to his reflection - my older males I have next to each other because they flare at first... Then calm down and don't seem to mind occasionally "communicating".

The coloration... Is it in vertical (up and down) stripes you see the white? Many of my males display it as a sign of breeding, or submission. When flaring, or showing off, their colors enhance a lot! Some get the stripes after, or during their "flare session". I've always found it normal :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote