Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #1 
myotherfishisabetta

Lightbulb Natural light cycle

I just wanna know if you can improve your betta's health and boost his/her growth by making sure they have a light cycle as close to their natural setting. A break from aquarium lights in the middle of the day and also making sure they have a completely dark tank at night i'm just curious. And im new to the forum so im interested in feedback
myotherfishisabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'm sure a good night/day cycle woll contribute to a fish's health.I have al my lights on a timer, it turns on for 14 hours a day with two hours of darkness in the middle. ( I'm not really sure why I did that actually. lol)

I used to have really crazy light schedule and my betta will be quite cranky sometimes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

My understanding is they need a day/night schedule like we do. One of my 10g tanks comes on for 2 hrs early early in the morning as my night light when I get up in the morning, then goes off for 6 more hrs, comes back on for 9 hrs. 2 other 10g tanks are on for 7 hrs a day because otherwise I have a really bad green algae problem. My 46g has lights on for about 9hrs as well as my 5.5g. All of my tanks though get natural lighting from nearby windows & some get hit with a little bit of sun. I have been told it helps with algae to have the lights on for about 4 hrs, then off for 1-2 hrs, then back on, the break in lighting disrupts something in the algae growth process.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 
Picasso84

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
..... I have been told it helps with algae to have the lights on for about 4 hrs, then off for 1-2 hrs, then back on, the break in lighting disrupts something in the algae growth process.
Wow... That's interesting, I never knew that... Pretty cool (I think I will have to remember that if I run into algae problems in the future)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
myotherfishisabetta

i understand, i was just curious because i saw that a halfmoon i had saved from the pet store made a quicker recovery when i made sure i covered his tank at night. I also do the break in light to stop the algae blooms. there was just alot of lights on all night and i figured betta's don't ever have a TV on in the wild.
myotherfishisabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by myotherfishisabetta View Post
i understand, i was just curious because i saw that a halfmoon i had saved from the pet store made a quicker recovery when i made sure i covered his tank at night. I also do the break in light to stop the algae blooms. there was just alot of lights on all night and i figured betta's don't ever have a TV on in the wild.
My house is dark at night so the Bettas I have home get darkness but I've been covering the tank I have work because the lights are on 24/7 right now. I'm actually not sure if our janitors turn the lights off normally so on the weekends he may be in light the whole time but he has a cave he can go into for darkness if he chooses.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote