Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

Exclamation Blind Betta

Hello! I've just adopted a betta from petsmart today, who appears to have no eyes. He is otherwise healthy (well, for a pet store fish anyway), but I was wonder what may have caused this (a birth deformity?), and if there are any special steps I should take in preparation for my sightless fish friend's new tank. I also wouldn't mind any name suggestions (he is reddish orange.) Thank you very much for all of your help and advice; it's greatly appreciated!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Look up the thread "tales of a blind betta" i think its in the journals section. That should be fairly helpful, and I would PM the author if you have any other questions.

It will take him a while to get used to his new set-up. Make sure his decorations are where you like them asap, you want to avoid moving them as much as possible because it will be stressful to him anytime he has to learn a new set-up. Also, there is a tapping method, you can try to teach him to learn to come to the top when you tap so that he can be fed easier. You can tap to get him up, drop food in front of him, and tap when its there. He should be able to detect it with other senses, but it'll be a big adjustment. I think the person that wrote "tales of a blind betta" uses a stick method where she sticks a piece of his food on a stick and puts it in front of his face instead of tapping, that could be a bit easier?

Goodluck with him!! I almost bought a blind betta not that long ago when someone posted him on ebay, but I couldnt afford him plus express shipping.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

I used to have a blind girl, she was just fine with the other girls, she most stayed at the bottom though and scavenged for food there, but she died after a month cuz her immune system was terrible after the high ammonia levels at the pet store
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 
ZubinBetta

You could call him "Brick." Or "Homer." "Milton." Best of luck. I had a blind betta but didn't know how to care for him, and I hadn't yet discovered this site. I couldn't think of a way to feed him, and he died.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 
Myates

This is my blind buddy, Mouse. He lives in a .66g keeper - bare of things, temp of 82F. He is kept with my breeder bettas as the "dorm's resident assistant/monitor" .. or the mascot :)

Reason I keep him in a smaller container with nothing in it is that he stresses out in anything larger. He also is very very active and I want to give him as much space as I can without worry he will bump into things. Yes, they can move around objects fine.. but mine is a bumper and he ends up with sores just under his mouth and on top of it due to hitting the sides frequently.

I feed him a pellet food I had gotten from a breeder friend called Black Gold, it seems to work best for Mouse as it is quite large, sinks and has a strong odor which combined makes it easy for him to find (another reason a bare bottom tank is idea.. can find easy and whatever isn't found can be removed to avoid fouling the water).

With no eyes.. it could be a number of things - born without them (but hard to figure out why they would place him for sale without any), could of had an infection and lost them, or a sibling in the grow out could of gotten them.. most likely he just never had any to begin with, but honestly unsure why they sold him. Are the sockets clean and not showing signs of redness?

Sorry no clearer picture of him.. he doesn't hold still and can't really get his attention ;)
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i had a blind betta. beautiful white HMPK boy. name was Theodore, but i called him Theo.

i kept him in a 2.5 gallon with only two plants, no gravel at all, and a floating ring i used to feed him. my best tip is to NEVER change his decor around. they get along just fine without their sight, and memorize the layout of their tank quickly. Theo had his flower he rested on, and a big pink plant he hid in when he felt scared.

the floating ring was what i used to feed him. it was easy to train him to go to that corner when he heard the lid being removed. the bare bottom was in case he missed some pellets, he could go down and eat them whenever. the feeding ring was also to keep the pellets in one spot because he'd jump at them and scatter them otherwise.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #7 
quietlythundering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
This is my blind buddy, Mouse. He lives in a .66g keeper - bare of things, temp of 82F. He is kept with my breeder bettas as the "dorm's resident assistant/monitor" .. or the mascot :)

Reason I keep him in a smaller container with nothing in it is that he stresses out in anything larger. He also is very very active and I want to give him as much space as I can without worry he will bump into things. Yes, they can move around objects fine.. but mine is a bumper and he ends up with sores just under his mouth and on top of it due to hitting the sides frequently.

I feed him a pellet food I had gotten from a breeder friend called Black Gold, it seems to work best for Mouse as it is quite large, sinks and has a strong odor which combined makes it easy for him to find (another reason a bare bottom tank is idea.. can find easy and whatever isn't found can be removed to avoid fouling the water).

With no eyes.. it could be a number of things - born without them (but hard to figure out why they would place him for sale without any), could of had an infection and lost them, or a sibling in the grow out could of gotten them.. most likely he just never had any to begin with, but honestly unsure why they sold him. Are the sockets clean and not showing signs of redness?

Sorry no clearer picture of him.. he doesn't hold still and can't really get his attention ;)

Your Mouse a very handsome betta! I'm not too sure why Blind Willie was out on the sales floor, but I've heard stories about what happens when you point out a sick fish....but anyway, his eye socket appear clean, but as for if they seem red, it would be hard to tell due to his overall coloration. I had to set up his tank last night and the water is still settling so he's still in his store cup. He isn't too active, and hasn't been eating (but that's normal since he's in a new environment) but he has proven very receptive to sound!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #8 
quietlythundering

I just put Blind Willie in his new tank; he's been mostly sticking to the bottom, but he's also been moving around cautiously, getting a feel for his new home.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #9 
Luimeril

Theo was in a 2.5 gallon glass tank. it may take Willie a while to feel confidant about things. took Theo weeks before he showed his spunk. once he figures out he's alone and nothing will hurt him, you'll see his true personality show.

Theo used to do this cute thing where he'd sit on the bottom and use his pectoral fins to hold himself up. was so cute. i miss him a lot.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #10 
quietlythundering

Thank you guys for everything! All your advice was so helpful!
Blind Willie's gotten used to his tank and all that lies within it, and he's figured out what his feeding ring is for, so he's been eating heartily. So far his favorite places to be are on his leaf hammock and in the huge coffee cup cave. :D
It's funny though; I feel like my other male betta, Neil, has gotten a bit jealous. He's been a bit grumpy lately. Has that happened to any of you?

Tags
betta, blind, petsmart rescue