Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #1 
Kiara1125

I think my female betta has Columnaris! D:

This is Apocalyptica. When I got her, she had a little white patch on her scales. I thought it was just an injury from laying in the side of her tiny little cup. Now, she has grayish fuzz all over her. I think she has Columnaris. The only problem is that I don't have the money for the maracyn 1 or 2 and she's in a tank with 2 other bettas and tons of other fish. What do I do? Here is a pic and a video.

When I first got her

Now
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...psa51cc8b6.mp4

And yes, that's Titanium who got into a fight yesterday. I'm treating him and although he looks terrible, he's getting better.

Also, for some of you out there who will ask ... No. She does not live with the males in my 10g. Idk why some people think that I would do that. :/ I put her in there for the lighting and I took her right back out.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 02-19-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

If you can't get any medication, there's not much I can tell you.

Columnaris is extremely contagious and she needs to be isolated from all of your other fish, any equipment she comes in contact with should be cleaned with a bleach/water solution.

How long have you had her? You put her in a tank with other fish or was she just floating in a cup in it?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #3 
Kiara1125

I've had her for 2 weeks. She's in my 20gL. I have a whole bunch of other fish in there and she was so nice to them. I'm extremely worried. Is it Columnaris though? I don't want my other fish to die, but I'm currently sick and I don't think I'll be able to do a whole clean down of the tank just yet ... So, for 2 weeks now, that spot has been developing and turning into more fuzz. She's acting completely normal, she's eating, and it seems as of nothing's wrong with her.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

It looks like columnaris, or maybe just a fungal infection. It's definitely not normal. Both of those usually cause behavioral changes such as pale colors, clamped fins, lethargy and loss of appetite. If its chronic culomnaris, I'm not sure if the behavioral symptoms can show up later but I would still quarantine her from the rest of the fish. Generally, you should QT all new fish for at least two weeks before releasing them into a tank with other fish for this reason.

Breaking down the tank probably won't help the rest of the fish as they have already been exposed. If recommend Kanaplex for treatment and I would treat the whole tank, but it usually needs to be ordered online and shipped and if you can't get meds, its not an option.

The best thing to do would be to remove her. You can float her in a cup if you don't have a back up heated tank. Without meds, there's not a whole lot else I can suggest.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

Ok. I'm just wondering. What can I do to treat her if its fungus? I put in stress coat and aquarium salt to the whole tank. Like I said, she's completely normal. If anything, she's really active and she gobbles up food like a little monster. She even chases my other fish, still. She's just been getting stress stripes lately.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 02-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quarentine her immediately. She should have been quarantined for minimum two weeks before you introduced her. If you can't get meds, just keep her water really clean and warm and maybe use aquarium salt. Part of your responsibility as a pet owner is being able to treat illnesses.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

It's not my fault I don't have a job. I went to set up a QT tank but my parents yelled at me for trying to set up another aquarium. Is it ok if I keep her in the main tank and treat it with salt and stress coat (since that's all I have)? I have melafix, but I don't trust it.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 02-19-2013 at 04:39 PM.