Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #1 
Solaris

University Troubles

So, here's the story. Four years ago, my father promised that he would pay for my university. (I was super happy! Obviously.) And this past May, I graduated with an Honours in Russian Studies after completing a thesis. It was, without a doubt, the proudest day of my life.

Now. I feel lost. I can't find a job and I generally feel like a burden.

Recently, I've been thinking about how to return to university to complete a second degree. One with better job prospects.

I've been wanting to talk to my mum about it, but I don't really know what to say. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it just feels awkward for some reason. She was so happy that I made it through university without any debt, thanks to my father. I feel that I can't justify doing that to myself. But, I also feel that if I don't do this, I will most certainly regret it for the rest of my life.

Thoughts?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #2 
registereduser

Will you be asking your parents to pay for the next round of school? What kind of job are you looking for? Do you speak fluent Russian? Have you looked for a job in government or with an international company?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #3 
aemaki09

Just be straight foreward and present all the facts up front with them. Sit them down one day soon and say something along the lines of "mom, dad, I know you guys have done a ton for me, I am so grateful for it all you can't imagine. I know you did it so that I wouldn't have debt from school for the next 15 years and that is awesome, but I feel like I need to go back. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a job with my major out here in the real world and I would like to be able to get a good job ASAP. Please don't feel like paing for my education in Russian studies was a waste, that's the farthest thing from the truth, there just aren't many job prospects and I don't want to freeload off of you guys anymore." <-- you get the idea. Be as polite yet explanative as possible.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Is your degree a bacherlor's degree? Because degrees of these, and I'm an English lit major, usually have Masters and Doctorate level degrees, which are the ones mostly required by employers. If Russian Studies is what you truly want to do then I think you should explore graduate degrees as an option.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #5 
Laki

You would probably have to move to find work with your current degree. It's 2013, the prospects for anybody to get guaranteed work without moving is pretty slim. Since you already have your master's in Russian studies I would start looking for options in English Canada and then USA and then farther away. I'm sure the Canadian govt would have something since there are so many Russian immigrants in Canada (but I think they're moreso in Lower Canada region).

If you truly want to go back to school, think about what you want to do, consult an academic advisor and then talk to your parents. Don't feel bad. Your parents should realise the career market is very competitive these days. You can even try trade school.

Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote