Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 
angus

are flakes better than nothing at all?

I've had my new betta Fruity for 2 days now and he's sick. He hasn't eaten since I've had him so today I decided to try some flakes that came with my aquarium kit. I literally picked out just a couple of flakes and dropped them in his little hospital tank and he actually ate them! It took a second, but he did. I did try one pellet earlier today and he ignored it so I figured it might be ok to give him the flakes to get something in him.

Is it possible that he doesn't know what the pellets are? With the horrible conditions he was in at walmart, which is why I bought the poor guy, maybe they barely fed him or only gave him flakes? I'm sure him being sick is playing a part in why he won't eat, but he's very active and unclamped so I'm hoping he's not as stressed.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #2 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I've had my new betta Fruity for 2 days now and he's sick. He hasn't eaten since I've had him so today I decided to try some flakes that came with my aquarium kit. I literally picked out just a couple of flakes and dropped them in his little hospital tank and he actually ate them! It took a second, but he did. I did try one pellet earlier today and he ignored it so I figured it might be ok to give him the flakes to get something in him.

Is it possible that he doesn't know what the pellets are? With the horrible conditions he was in at walmart, which is why I bought the poor guy, maybe they barely fed him or only gave him flakes? I'm sure him being sick is playing a part in why he won't eat, but he's very active and unclamped so I'm hoping he's not as stressed.
I'd feed him the flakes for now. Its good for him to eat.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 
Lyshymo

Personally, I think every Betta is different. All the previous Bettas I've owned (except the one who was ill) ate pellets, but I've heard stories where other peoples' bettas wouldn't touch them. If flakes work, use them. It isn't the end of the world, just be sure to clean up his tank (I heard flakes make a mess of the tank if not cleaned properly). :)
Perhaps, after he's feeling better, try pellets again?
But I wouldn't think flakes would be "worse" than pellets. If he's getting the nutrition he needs, then it worth it!
Good luck!
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #4 
angus

Thanks...that's what I figured. I picked out a couple little flakes when I fed him because I didn't know if he'd eat them and I didn't want to dirty up the hospital tank he's in. Pellets are easier to pick out than flakes in my opinion. I was just so excited to see him actually eat.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #5 
waterdog

I have heard of a few cases where people say all their fish would eat is flakes, though this is rare.
My point of concern more than flakes is you say these are flakes that came with the tank. My guess as to brand would be Tetra? If this is so, you might want to check into a better brand of flakes. Omega One makes a flake designed for bettas. It might be worth the $4 to get a better flake for now, then when he has recovered, try the pellets again.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #6 
angus

Good guess with the brand. I'll check into the omega one flakes. That's the brand of pellets we have.