Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #1 
Pony

Ghost Shrimp advice?

I'm working on a new 10 gallon divided tank that will eventually house 2 bettas. Currently I'm working on getting it cycling fishless, so I'm still in the early stages, but right now I'm just planning for when it's ready to go.
I was thinking about later possibly adding ghost shrimp to help with the cleaning, but I've never had anything like them and don't even know where to begin other than being cautious about the fact that my future fish might eat 'em.

So could I comfortably house any of these guys in 5 gallon areas? If so, how many? Do people ever keep just one, or do they need companions? And what about breeding, do I need to worry that they might make more and overpopulate my little space?

Also, would they be happy in a pretty alkaline tank around 80 degrees F? Is there any big difference I would need to be aware of? And do they need an air stone? I have two pumps so that's no problem but of course the bettas usually don't want them if they won't be necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pony; 05-09-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

Shrimp are very sensitive to changing water parameters and should only be placed in a stable, mature tank and a newly-cycled tank is not always stable. I suggest waiting at least three months after parameters are steady.

Ghosties do not breed in freshwater. Actually, most are wild-caught and that's why the high mortality rate.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #3 
Pony

No problem, it can definitely wait, and thanks for the tip!
Other than that, does it seem like everything else will be okay for the shrimp? And how about the amount of shrimp that would be content in those sizes of space?

And you mention mortality rate...would you suggest a different type of shrimp? I initially leaned towards the ghost shrimp because I thought they were relatively easy to keep for a shrimp-noob (plus they look pretty neat!) but I would be open to any other suggestions if it would likely go better for me and the critters involved.

Last edited by Pony; 05-11-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Ghost shrimp often become betta snacks. ;) They do clean pretty well, but they also don't seem to last all that long. I had about fifteen I put into my sorority tank...two made it for about a month, then they were gone. I'm assuming someone ate them.

They're also *really* hard to locate in the tank...

Oh, and their bioload is almost nil, so you can stick a good number in there. But, overall, I was not really excited about their effectiveness...I still needed to clean the tank about the same amount as before, they don't eat plant material (only dropped fish food), they're almost impossible to find, and they're fish snacks. I decided not to put more in and threw in some ramshorn and mystery snails as clean-up instead. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #5 
Pony

Hmm...is there a shrimp type that might suit my situation that would eat both plant matter and leftover food?
Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #6 
Kithy

I'd give ghost shrimp a try in a cycled tank to see how it handles being with your betta. I would really hate to go out and spend more money on something that my fish ends up eating x_X A couple of ghosties would help you decide if your boys can play nice as some bettas just don't like sharing their tank with anyone, even someone they can barely see.

Out of 7 shrimp in my sorority only one survived and he was the biggest one. Ask for them to give you the biggest shrimp they have so that maybe they stand a chance. Lots of cover definitely helps. Ghosties are so fast and so hard to see that they are a good choice for aggressive tank mates. But you should research other kinds of shrimp. Amanos are good from what I hear.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

Amanos are great but I would experiment with the Ghosties first. Also, make sure your cover is tight, tight, tight if you get Amanos as they are great escape artists. And lots of plant cover to break the line of sight.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #8 
Pony

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd call it tight. I have a hood that sits on the top and is secured in place by fitting loosely into the ledge going around the outside of it (wow, that's difficult to put into words!). It also has a large hole where the filter is, but I figure I could patch that up with some mesh.
Should I avoid amanos because of my hood, or would a hood on its own be heavy enough to prevent escape? Are other shrimp pretty good at escaping too?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

You're probably fine. Shoot, I had a Nerite escape and I'll never figure out that one!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #10 
Kithy

I put duct tape over any open areas in my tank :3 That stuff literally holds everything together in my house.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote