jameson

fish seems ill, please help

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal divided between 2 fish
What temperature is your tank? constant 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 other betta on the other side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% 2-3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes, it is lethargic. sits mostly at top or bottom of tank. doesn't react to me and barely eats. always seems to be pointing up. Howver when he swims he seems just fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? just got him so no
How old is your fish (approximately)? idk, just got him

I just got a new fish a few days ago. He seemed fine at fist but now he doesn't swim much and rests in odd positions and places in the tank. When he is active he seems fine but usually looks ill and doesn't react to me. sometimes he wont eat and when he does it is very unenthusiastic. He always seems to be pointing up and not level. If it makes any difference my girlfriend fed him some freeze dried blood worms by accident when I let her take care of him for a day. I usually don't feed my fish them...
jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 
jameson

update

here is an update. I just checked on him and he is just sitting at the top motionless and doesn't respond to anything. Please, any reply is appreciated. He doesn't look bloated or anything :(
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #3 
Perry the platypus

How is the water? Dirty? What other betta does he live with in the divider? And do you have any pics?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #4 
jameson

It's just divided between two male bettas. Water is crystal clear, the fish hasn't moved in hours. Looks like he is barely breathing and close to death. I can't tell what is wrong for the life of me. I added some aquarium salt and turned off the air stone to see if it helps but no change yet.

I don't have a camera to take pics, I tried with my phone but you cant see anything. The phone is 5 years old
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

fd blood worms can sometimes cause constipation and swim bladder problems. can you describe his breathing also? does he look bloated? (fatter than usual?)

You can treat these problems with epsom salt (3tsp/gal dosage) have you seen him poop recently? try holding a mirror up to him....
turning the heat up to 80 or 82 may also help.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #6 
jameson

He is breathing really slow and honestly looks almost dead. He has only moved a couple of times today. Looking closely it looks like there is a small bulge towards his tail fin but it could be my imagination. I have not seen him poop recently but I haven't been watching for it specifically. I don't have epsom salt and don't actually know what it is. Is it something found at a pet store? Ill try the mirror but I've tried to make him flare at me already and he isn't responding.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

epsom salt can be found pretty much any supermarket....make sure it's plain and unscented....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #8 
jameson

Thanks for the replys, ill grab some salt tomorrow after my morning class but honestly he looks like he might not make it that long. I feel just awful
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #9 
callistra

How are you doing these water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #10 
jameson

I use a siphon to take out the water then put the new water in a bucket and make sure it is about the same temp before slowly pouring it in. I usually take the fish out unless i'm in a hurry.

As for an update on the fish. He has moved around a little but is still acting the same. I'm picking up the salts after class so i'll probably move him to a small container with the salts for now so my other fish can stay the same.

Tags
eating, fish