Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 
LegalEagle2009

Which brand/size of water changer for 3 gal., unfiltered, planted tank?

I have a 3 gal. cube, unfiltered tank with live plants and a single Betta. Looking at getting a water changer to facilitate in tank water changes. My tank is located on a bar countertop very close to my kitchen sink, so don't need a really long hose. Would like the water changer to also be able to clean the gravel, if possible.

Can anyone recommend which one I should get?

Thanks!
LegalEagle2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #2 
aemaki09

It doesn't really matter what brand it is, practically all are the same...
Top fin for small tanks is the one I use, has like a 6' hose and a squeeze ball so you don't have to use your mouth lol it also has a gravel catcher so you can get debris without catching gravel. It's only like $10 at petsmart
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #3 
waterdog

You can use this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

but seems like a lot of money for a 3 gallon. Drop a sponge filter in it and you will only need to change about a gallon a week instead.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 
sarahspins

Honestly a water change that hooks to your sink is overkill on a tank that size. I don't even use mine on my smaller tanks except to refill them, and even then, sometimes I still just fill up a bucket instead to save the hassle.

You could get by with a just small siphon (I like the mini size for my smaller tanks): http://www.petco.com/product/114921/...l-Cleaner.aspx

If you are close enough to the sink you can simply siphon water right into the sink (I do that with my shrimp tank, because it sits on my kitchen counter), otherwise water can just go into a bucket.

A gallon sized water pitcher would work well for refilling.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #5 
LegalEagle2009

Yeah, I watched a video on them and agree, I don't need a full on water changer. Just want a hose with suction so I don't have to use my mouth, I think.
LegalEagle2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Get a piece of air hose and a water bottle. Cut a very small hole in the top of the water bottle near the cap, and wedge the end of the air hose into the bottle. Put the other end into the tank. Suck on the mouth of the bottle NOT the air hose. That will start the suction without getting nasty tank water in your mouth. Either remove the hose from the water bottle and let it drain into the sink, or use the bottle as a measure to see how much water you're taking out.

If you want something more stiff for the vacuum end, use the tube from a hollow BIC pen attached to the air hose.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote