Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #1 
daniellebodnar57

Betta Fish Problem

My beta fish live in a 2 1/2 gallon acrylic tank, i don't know the temperature but their is a filter. There aren't andy airstone's or aeration. There is a heating light on the top of the tank and the betas live in the tank together with a divider between them but no other fish. I feed them Tetra Bettamin Tropical Medley and feed them once a day. I just recently changed the tank they were living in and plan on changing the water once a month, but before that i had changed the water (all of it) once every two weeks and that was in tanks without filters. I had changed all the water in the previous tank, don't know about this one will probably do the same thing. I have not tested the water and don't know how to. My fish has changed in appearance, he now has a white spot by his tail fin (looks somewhat like a scab) and has a very fat stomach. His behavior has changed by him not moving around as much and stays on the top of the water, also doesn't eat much anymore. I started noticing these symptoms ayer my other beta fish got into its tank four days ago, there were signs that they had been fighting but had not been when i found them. I haven't been treating him and i don't know what to do for him. He hasn't been sick before and is approximately 6 months old.
daniellebodnar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #2 
Perry the platypus

A picture might help and what gender bettas are in the dividers? I recommend you getting a thermometer and a bigger tanks (5 gal least) for dividers. You can buy water test kits at Petsmart or Petco. I hope we can help.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 
daniellebodnar57

im assuming they are both males due to their coloring, i got them as party favors at a sweet 16 :/.... and okay on the other information thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

Do you have pics? I could probably tell with pics.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 
waterdog

First and foremost you need a thermometer to find out the temp of the water. Bettas need at least 78 degree water. Temp fluctuations, as is cold at night, warm day, are the worst thing for bettas.

Second, you need a better food. Omega-One or New Life Spectrum are what we recommend as the highest quality pellets.

Third, you need to do a 50% water change every week, not month.

Let's hope for now the white spot is a result of them fighting and not the disease I am thinking of. Main thing right now is water temp. It's amazing how many things just clean warm water can fix!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #6 
daniellebodnar57

there are some pictures in my album
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #7 
daniellebodnar57

Okay thank you!!