Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #1 
angus

is there hope for my new fish?

I'm trying to save a fish I found at walmart yesterday. I brought him home about 7pm last night, it's 5 am now. I tried to take some pics, but my camera is not cooperating. I mean I got some, but they're not great.

Anyway I'm wondering if maybe he's still getting used to his new environment. He has absolutely NO interest in food. I know stressed fish probably won't eat so I'm hoping that's all it is. He's hardly been swimming since I got up this morning, but as I type this he's getting more active. Like swimming like I haven't seen him swim before so I'm already feeling a bit better. Maybe he's trying to tell me I woke him up too early? lol

He looks generally healthy, but his fins/tail look a bit rough. They're clamped too, but as I'm watching him swim now I think they might be getting better. I currently have him in a heated 3 gallon 360 degree view tube like tank. I don't like it that much so he may get a new one soon if he makes it.

The only other thing I can think to mention is how easily he gets spooked. You can walk up to the aquarium, but if you go to touch it at all he darts.

I didn't fill out the form because I haven't tested the water and he's only been in it for less than 12 hours. Temp is near 80 though. Plus he hasn't eaten any food so I guess what I'm feeding him doesn't matter. I'm attempting to feed him pellets though. Omega one to be exact.

Angus was healthy as can be when I got him home, he eats no matter what the situation is, and has always greeted me at the tank. This new fish, who I've started calling Fruity is the complete opposite. I realize no two fish are the same, but I seem to have gotten complete opposites.

Any advice?
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #2 
angus

This is Fruity a little over an hour later. I think he's unclamped. I don't use a flash for these pics, but I forgot to turn the warning light off which is orange and I spooked him again. Poor guy. He's swimming again now though. I've made sure for future photos that I got that stupid light off!

There's still a piece of food floating so I'm sure he hasn't eat yet. When should I try again? Should I just leave him alone today?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #3 
Crowntails

I'd give him a few days. He's probably stressed right now. Very beautiful boy you got there!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #4 
angus

Thank you for your reply. I thought he was beautiful before, but now that I see his fins all open I think he's gorgeous! I'm just going to try to stay away from the aquarium today and let him be. He seems to be a nervous little guy and gets spooked very easily. Once he calms down though he swims all around.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I agree that he's just settling in. Clean warm conditioned water & he'll blossom. I wouldn't stay away from his tank but go over & stand(or sit) there without making any sudden movements so he gets used to seeing you.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #6 
angus

Thank you for your advice. I swear I've never seen such a nervous fish!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #7 
angus

How long should I wait before getting concerned about him not eating? Another day or so?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #8 
angus

I hope people are still reading this...sorry for all the questions, but I need help!

I just checked on Fruity again and noticed changes in his fins. Due to bad lighting I can't tell if it's dark blue or black, but there's color starting around the edges. Could it be fin rot? I got the best pics I could. Could it just be his coloring coming through?

Can you see it?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

That looks like coloring to me because of the way it comes from his body onto his fin in a straight line. New Bettas can go up to a week refusing food. What are you feeding? Does he even check out the food or is he not seeing it?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #10 
jeaninel

Give him a couple days to settle in. It may take him longer. I know it's hard, but don't keep trying to feed him as you'll need to remove the uneaten food which will cause him more stress. Does he have any plants or decor in his tank he can hide in? This may help to make him feel safe. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote