Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Red spots on one side fin?

Overnight, Cass has developed red spots, quite bright on one of her pectoral fins. She's still eating, still very active. I'm adding anti-fungus medicine because I figure that's what it is, but does anyone have any insight on what it might be or how best to treat it? If it helps we just moved her to a new tank.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 27*c
Does your tank have a filter? it's not on at the moment because we have to baffle it
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once to twice a day depending on how much she's had.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Two 50% per week in her new aquarium. Once the filter is on, one 50% change a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin cycle and Nutrafin aqua plus.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested yet. Taking a sample to the pet store nearby right away.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Red spots and patched on one pectoral fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. Jungle fungus eliminator.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We've had her 5 months.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #3 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Still no change in her condition. Going to move her to a quarantine tank with the anti-fungus/bacteria/etc medication.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do you have a photo? Also, when you take the water to be tested, ask if they can give you actual numbers. (Some petstores will just say "it looks OK," so ask if they can tell you specifically what the numbers are.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #5 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I can't get a photo right now. She's a very active fish and will not sit still even when she's sick. :P I'll try and get one tomorrow with my girlfriend's actual camera, but my stupid phone camera isn't fast enough for her. I didn't jot down the numbers, but I compared them to a chart saying what was normal and it all checked out. I can get it done again, but it's well within normal levels at the moment.

But I did a full 100% change with her medicine in her quarantine tank. So I'll see how she is tomorrow. She's just acclimatizing now. Any other suggestions or theories?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Can you describe the spots better? Are they fuzzy? Do they look like wounds? Are you sure she's just not changing colors? What are her "normal" colors?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #7 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

They're usually a brown colour, and fairly translucent. Now she's got red streaks, following the same lines that are always on her fins. I drew this sketch in photoshop for you as a reference. lol The red isn't quite as bright as in this artist's rendition, mind you.

And it's only on one of her fins. I've got her in that Betta Revive stuff in her quarantine tank now. Still acting normal. :-\
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm thinking its her coloring. You're doing frequent water changes so unless your tap is bad her water should be good. Hopefully you can post a pic to help out.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Not septicemia? Or a fungal infection or anything? 0.o I'll try and get a picture tomorrow, but honestly, it looks like the picture I drew. Just red lines on one of her fins that are very non-transluscent. Her fins are normally very see-through, but these red lines aren't at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #10 
callistra

Can't diagnose this without photos. Sorry.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote