Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #1 
m12pinky

Two Male Bettas In 10 Gallon Tank (HELP)

Found out that i have two male bettas. What i want is to have a community of fishes. Before i do that i want to make sure i do things right. I already removed one of the fish, im not sure whos the more aggressive one cuz they both take turns at some point.

1. I am about to buy 3-way breeder (Use as a maturation tank for fry or an isolation tank for injured or aggressive fish) and put both males in there, which would separate them out.

THE ITEM: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lees-Aquar...ndingMethod=rr

2. Buying more plastic plants and something else like a statue or whatever

3. Buying Fishes. Can i buy 4 females bettas? Will it work? (i dont want the male and female to mate) IF i cant buy female bettas what type of freshwater fish can i buy so they can get along with eachother and other fishes.

-----I haven't seen any biting but im sure they might been doin that when im not there. When i do see them being aggressive, One will flare up and the other one will run away, they will take turns doing that-----

Last edited by m12pinky; 02-20-2013 at 12:03 AM.
m12pinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Go get a divider. Immediately. Males should never, under no circumstances be left together for any period of time. A sorority of four should work in a very well planted tank. And umm... No, the females will not breed together.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 
Luimeril

or... you could divide the tank, forget the community tank and keep them in each half of the tank.

females with males are a no-no. there will be fighting. and spawning. and stress all around.

if you MUST have your community tank, keep one of your males in his own smaller tank(2+ gallons), and buy some neons or another peaceful schooling fish to go with your other male.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #4 
Myates

So.. going to keep those two males in very small containers inside of a tank filled with females? Possibly a bit stressful.. seeing another is one thing if they have their own space, etc. But this could be a problem as the females may become aggressive with one another because the males are so close.. etc. Those really aren't bigger than the cups they come in.. 1/4 of the container they can't access due to it being a trap for live fry.

Best solution is either-

Make/buy a divider and divide the tank.. can divide it into 3-4 sections if you wish and have 3-4 bettas.

Keep one male in there with a few peaceful fish and have a separate tank (1g+) (with heater) for the other male.

Keep one male and return the other.

Get 2 more tanks (1g+) with heaters and keep the males in their own and set up a community tank.

I recommend getting something a bit more appropriate for the 2 fish you have before bringing more in. That is a temporary solution, but really shouldn't be in there long term under those conditions.

I would do a bit more research on these fish to help you out, so you can understand what you can and can't do with these fish. They are pretty, and many people believe they live in puddles and require nothing.. but they actually require specific care and treatment.

I just don't feel comfortable recommending other fish at this time until you find a way to house these two males appropriately... wish you the best.

Last edited by Myates; 02-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
Crowntails

I agree. Divide the tank now or get 2 new ones. The males are stressing each other out.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #6 
acitydweller

may i ask how two males ended up in the tank together?
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #7 
Kboou2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
She didn't know that they were two males when she first got them.

I would suggest putting them in separate tanks or getting a divider.
Kboou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #8 
acitydweller

Iim glad this was caught before there were any casualties :)
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #9 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I have actually heard a Petco employee tell a customer that they could put two fish in the same small bowl. Needless to say that was one time I stuck my nose in and said something!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote