Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
jfortney

Question Hunger Strike!

I've had a few Bettas before the one I have now, and have never encountered this problem. As you probably inferred by the title, my Betta won't eat! Mind you I've only had him for four days. I have tried Zoo Med betta pellets (but the nice folks on this site told me that that food is junk) and have since moved to Omega One Betta Buffet along with the occasional bloodworm. Still, he's eaten nothing. I keep track of exactly how much food I put in, and exactly how much food I take out after about a half hour, and like I said before, this dude eats nothing! At first I thought it might have been because his water was too cold, so I got a heater for his tank. It's now at 78 degrees. I don't think he'll starve to death for a while but it would be nice if he ate something.
jfortney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #2 
angus

He could be still adjusting to his new environment. I gave up on pellets with my new betta, at least for now. He had no interest in them at all. I finally tried flakes and he's been eating those like crazy. Some people suggest soaking the pellets in garlic juice, but I didn't try that.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
Nothingness

Be patient. It took my Betta 9 days before he started eating. Do what you've been doing and feed him a pellet 1-2 times a day and eventually he will eat. They can go upwards of 3 weeks without food
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

One of my bettas would not eat pellets for anything. It took me quite a while before he would even start. He would only eat frozen bloodworms. Just keep at it. Eventually they'll give in and eat. Hunger gets the best of everything.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #5 
PaulO

I pamper my betta's :P, I always have some frozen food at home and new arrivals always get blood worms the first couple of days. I like to think the protein helps them have the strength to adjust and recover but they could just be leading me on for extra treats lol.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #6 
Kboou2

I think he needs to adjust to the environment. Maybe he's stressed or scared.
Kboou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 
fyreflii

My male betta won't eat

I have had my male betta now for about 4 months and I have never seen him eat. I'm sure he has to be eating something for him to have lived this long, but I have never seen him eat or act interested in food. I have tried a variety of pellets and flake food, but whenever I feed him, I count the same number of pieces of food a half hour later. When I walk by him he comes swimming to the edge of his tank and is very active. My last betta lived to be about 5-6 years old and I never had any problems with him, but this one just doesn't seem to eat. Any suggestions?
fyreflii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #8 
FishFriend9292

My betta would only eat flake food. He wouldn't even eat blood worms. It took him about a week or so and then he ate everything.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me figure it out