Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 
jfortney

Question Maybe I'm losing it.

I preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I edited the attached image so you could see better... My Betta "Combat Chuck" isn't really that color.

I was checking on Combat Chuck this morning and noticed this nasty slime stuff coming from around his gills and around some of his fins. I didn't think much of it as he was no less active than normal. When I checked on him later he was building a bubble nest (ain't no ladies in his future!) I digress.

I am about to transfer him from his small bowl to a ten gallon tank (thinking about getting some ADFs) when I put my new thermometer into the bowl with the cheap thermometer. What I thought was 80 degrees turned out to be 88 degrees. This confuses me because he has always sat against my heater.

I guess I'm spitting out a lot of information. What I read on the forum stretched from "I posted this a few hours ago... And my fish is dead" to "it's no big deal"

Any info/suggestions would rock!

Thanks,

P.S. that's abloom worm above him
Attached Images

jfortney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 
osromatra

Are you sure it's slime/shedding? It kind of looks like new fin growth?
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #3 
jfortney

I have no idea what it is.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #4 
Aluka

sounds like he is shedding his slime coat. =/ i wouldn't worry about it yet if he isn't showing any symptoms.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #5 
jfortney

Maybe I should have worried about it... I woke up to a dead Betta. From what I've read, whatever was wrong with him strikes fast. He was fine when I last saw him at 10:00pm but was dead by 9:00am.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #6 
MiyuMikaelson

I'm sorry for your loss, it's unfortunate when they go too quickly for it to be diagnosed and treated.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote