Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #1 
abwise455

Exclamation L.E.D lights in my 6 gallon tank help!

So I have this tank that is made for jelly fish, but I use it for my betta. The light comes in from the bottom corner and is pretty bright. I don't think it is suitable for the two java fern and the water wisteria I have in the tank so I bought a led stick on strip light. the strip light is attached the top of the tank and is fairly bright. Does anyone know if this will be enough light for my plants to thrive or at least keep alive? I will post pictures to give you an idea of what my tank is like. I will also include an idea of the lights I used, except I used one strip and not four like in the picture.
Attached Images

abwise455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

for java fern and water wisteria? It should be. if the water wisteroa show healthy growth, then the light is OK.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #3 
abwise455

Well the wisteria is actually "dying", but I have been told it is just losing its leaves and then will grow its aquatic leaves back because I bought it has a terrestrial plant..I am not sure if this is true if someone can confirm that would be great. By the way the the lights look plenty more bright than they really are because my camera sucks and picked up the white in the lights and exageratted it lol.
abwise455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #4 
acitydweller

plants converting from emersed to submersed growth will show signs of melting. this is normal. you need to find out if the light temperature is around 6000-7000k as this is the sweetspot for plant growth.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #5 
louisvillelady

I have grown and propagated numerous aquatic plants. I have never had any luck with LED lights. I do not believe the spectrum to be correct for plants. The only thing I grew with LED lights was pond scum. YUCK!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #6 
tekkguy

I have a very lush tank that has only ever had led ... My Fluval Spec V. It is a lower light tank, because the brightness isn't great even though the color temperature is, but with the right plant choices it is great.

Those plants are great for lower light, so you should be just fine.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #7 
Sea Dragon

I may be wrong, but that water wisteria looks like creeping jenny to me :0
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #8 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
I have grown and propagated numerous aquatic plants. I have never had any luck with LED lights. I do not believe the spectrum to be correct for plants. The only thing I grew with LED lights was pond scum. YUCK!
This may be true of some LED's but you *can* get the correct spectrum and plants *can* grow very well with LED's. My "grow out" tank has LED lighting.. I have an HC carpet going in my shrimp tank with LED lighting.

I have 3 different Finnex LED fixtures on 3 tanks and my plants are all doing great with those. I was using some undercabinet LED lighting from IKEA (DIODER, I think) to light my two 2.5's tanks and all the plants in those tanks (even the moss) eventually died... but those LED's are closer to 2700k, not the 6500k that plants need, and they weren't very bright... so to be honest I'm not sure if it was a color temp issue or just a not enough light issue. I've torn those tanks down and I'm not even using them, so it's not a problem any more - the lighting was moved to my china cabinet :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote