Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 
Otterfun

I found a baby snail =D

I am so excited, or should I be???

I found a little dot on my wall and I thought it was an air bubble. I tried to brush it off with a spoon and it would not move. So I scoop it out, checked it with my pen-repair 20x loupe, and it is a snail !!!

Yes .

I got some plants in mid-Jan and so now I get a little snail. Not sure what type as the forming shell is showing a very pale tan and the white body has grey dots. I put him in a cup and fed him with algae wafer crumbs. this is so fun....

Should I be worried there are more in the tank but just not on the AQ wall?

Last edited by Otterfun; 02-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Depends on the type of snail & if you're ready for a population explosion!! Some people like snails & others don't. I like them in moderation so I'm very careful about what I allow in my tank.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

one snail is fine, 1 hundred isn't. If he's the only guy then I say keep him, i am currently raising 45+ pond snails who I hatched myself. I had an older snail too who I qted two weeks and is now living in the 10 gallon tank. Can't find him so I hope my mystery snail didn't eat him O.O

But it's a lot of fun raising snails. I look at my baby ponds every day and remember back to when they were just tiny eggs and realize I have been there for nearly every step of their tiny lives. I am certainly keeping a snail for each tank, Sherlock is in one tank and I have two others I picked out, the rest as finding new homes once they are large enough.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 
Aurie

I had a pond snail explosion in one of my 10 gallons and I hated them at first, then I realised that yeah, they eat algae and some detritus so they're not all that bad. If my tank gets bad (no cleanings) they have a population explosion but to be honest, I haven't seen more than 10 at any given time since I kept better care of the tank so they can be an indicator of over feeding etc. If you see a lot of them, cut back on your food and do a gravel vac. They'll die off as a result. If you decide to squish them, remove them as their bodies can let off ammonia. I think my betta ate one cause he's been bloated for like 3 weeks and nothing has helped. I think he ate it shell and all :( He's doing fine (pooping, nesting etc) but I never removed the shells.. just squished em. Serves me right. Now I occationally squish with a "club card" (no magnetic strip) and then gravel vac after on cleaning day (every weekend)

This is a pond snail btw
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
This is a pond snail btw
thanks for the photo, i think i might have a pond snail, bit too early to tell. hopefully i can take a picture with the loupe over it soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
LadyVictorian

I have put my second pond snail into my tank and he is the second one to vanish. I am suspecting my mystery snail is eating them because they can pretty much just fit in his mouth.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I have put my second pond snail into my tank and he is the second one to vanish. I am suspecting my mystery snail is eating them because they can pretty much just fit in his mouth.
ok, that might have explained why my snail has been growing leaps and bounds this past week, another 1/4". Yo looks like a teenager trying to grow into his new skin, bumping into things falling off leaves that he once was able to glide on. But he looks like a tank on the substrate, vacuuming off all those uneated food, plus all over the glass .

OK, we'll see if I have a pond snail which I think is most likely as most suggested.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I like the common snails and in my soil based heavy planted tanks-they all have jobs of sorts....lol....Especially in the heavy planted tanks-the common snails can help provide ferts, eat some algae-especially on the plant leaves, eat the dead/dieing organic matter and excessive fish food. With that said, they can over populate and become a pain if they are not kept in check. They don't seem to cause any problems in my planted tanks when over populated-other than the "Look" especially when you have 20-50 crawling up the front wall....lol....

Since I have so many common snails-I have to trap and remove them on a regular basis to keep them in check. Just the other day-I bet I removed well over 100 common snails-pond, ramshorn and trumpet and I do this about every couple of weeks-but I also have lots of tanks.

I did get a half dozen Assisan snails-but I haven't really seen much difference in the numbers of common snails in the 2 tanks I placed them in-but its only been about 3 months. I have always wanted to get Assissan snails due to how pretty they are and their common snail diet....lol....I didn't know Mystery snails would kill and eat other snails-I knew they would eat dead ones-but not hunt and kill them...interesting....

One day I still plan to try using common snail meat as my protein for the homemade fish food I make...lol....All my fish love the snail meat when I crush them on occasion and let the body fall-especially the fry...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

I didn't know they would eat them either but I guess calcium is calcium and tiny snails with shells are a perfect source of calcium and my cuddlebone is all gone so maybe it was just his way of saying he needs more cuddlebone. Tesla eats like a pig and I know he prefers meats over plants. I feed him brine shrimp and bloodworms every now and again and he will go for the shrimp over a chunk of zucchini. I think if I want another snail living with him I have to wait for it to be larger than the opening to his mouth so larger than a pea or it will end up being more Tesla food. He's a great snail though, got really large really fast o.o
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #10 
Aurie

As a side note:

I've been reading your posts Lady and every time you write "Tesla" I read it as "TESSSSLLAH!" like it says in Zen Pinball for the PS3.. There's a table named Tesla LOL

/sidenote

Aurie
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote