Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Moving

There is a 95% chance that I will be moving this summer. Yes, I know that's far away from right now, but I am one person who knows how fast time flies by. I have two NPT 10g tanks and the plants are actually GROWING. I never thought they would, but for some magical reason, they are. And I'll be getting some more in a couple of weeks. When I move, will this kill the plants, having to move them like that? How long can they be out of the tank for? Is there any chance in this actually working? ANY advice is MUCH needed here!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
Picasso84

I have the EXACT same question! Thanks! :)

Someone please answer.... *She says like 30 mins after the thread was started* Lol
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

Oh good, someone in the same boat! XD
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
PaulO

How long will the move take you guys? *all of you ;P*
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5 
isochronism

I have two fully planted tanks, but in gravel and my plants are all doing very well. I would hate to lose that progress also. Anyway, I would imagine you could remove your plants and put them in large tupperware containers with water and maybe a bit of ferts, for the move.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

I personally have moved my NPT 4 hours. It was a major pain, but it all worked out and even the shrimp are still alive!

Here is what I did:
Cupped the giant in a tupperware container and closed the lid tight. Originally I worried about this, but if you think about it, when betta fish are shipped they are stuck in a bag with less air for a lot longer. Plus this prevented problems with water getting out. I also added a part of a IAL. Again, something that you see these fish shipped with.
I then drained the tank so that there was only a tiny (less than half an inch) amount of water over the soil/sand. This was to keep the shrimp (which I can never find) and plants alive.

Of course it really isn't a good idea to move a tank with any water in it, but I felt like I didn't really have a choice. If you can, I would bag all the plants in water and use fresh soil and sand when you reach your destination.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I have maybe three larger plants and then numerous grasses in mine. The good news is that I'll only be moving about a mile and a half away to my grandmother's farmhouse, but we'll still be renovating and it may take a day or two before my parents even think about setting up my room and tanks :/ I don't even want to THINK about how we'll move my 30 gallon Goldfish tank (haven't even gotten that one yet!) But I will put the plants in bags and give them some nutrients, that seems like a plan!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 
Picasso84

I will be moving for the summer.... Haven't planted the tank yet b/c of this reason, so it might have to wait.... But my drive is 8 hours (including a 2 1/2 hour ferry ride) but it will b just for the summer (meaning I do it all over again in the fall ugh... This will b the last summer for a couple years I think)

*And I did actually order some IAL so I'm glad I did that b/c they apparently take awhile to get here*

Elsewhere, good luck with your move! Hope y'all get the house fixed up nice! My parents spent a year restoring a 150 yr old (then, now it's more like 170 yr old, b/c that was 20-some yrs ago now! Lol) house.... And I had to move my ten gal gold fish tank (I was like 6 yrs old when we moved... Still remember when they carried the tank off the truck! :) Lol ... It was a 3- block move Lol)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote