Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #1 
Seaman2012

Tailbiting :(

Does anyone know how to stop a betta from tailbiting? One of my bettas tails seems to be a little ragged. The other day when he didnt see me watching him..I noticed he would swim in circles and bite his tail! I don't know how to stop it..

He lives in a 2 gallon tank.
It is heated at 77 degrees F
No other tank mates
Water changes- 10 percent every three days...100 percent once every week

Any suggestions?
Seaman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #2 
Atena

try hanging his tank around, maybe a new toy or plant.

He might be either bored or stressed.

If there is a current in the water he might be biting his tail to make it easier to swim. My VT did that one time.

He does it if the plants grow in too much also so he can fit better around them.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #3 
callistra

You're not doing nearly enough water changes. With a water change schedule like that you would almost surely end up with fin rot.. you sure it's just biting?

If you don't have a filter you need to be doing two weekly changes of 50% and 100%. If you do a have a filter and you aren't changing all the media at once, a fully cycled tank will require 2 weekly water changes of 50% with small siphon or turkey baster to remove debris from the gravel. But cycling can take up to two months, or possibly even longer in a tank of this size and many more water changes are likely to be needed. A reliable drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate should be used and additional 50% changes should be done any time you see ammonia or nitrite.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #4 
Saphira101

I had a VT who bit his tail once, I stuck a mirror on the outside of the glass and he stopped. But I've never known Callistra to be wrong, so I'd go with what she says ;)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

I do recommend more water changes...

But personally I think the WC isn't to bad.... and is undeserving of the "not nearly enough" comment.

OFL recommends a 1 gallon be changed out 50% half way through the week ans 100% at the end of the week...

lets say a betta releases 2ppm ammonia per day
(extremely unrealistic, but just for examle setting purposes and easy calculation)

water changes are done on wednesdays for the 1 gallon..

so for a normal 1 gallon
mon - 2ppm
tues - 4ppm
weds - 6ppmx50%=3ppm
thurs - 5ppm
fri - 7ppm
sat - 9ppm
sun - 11ppm

(a 100% wc is done here)

in a 2 gallon tank due to doubling of the water volume the same betta will release 1ppm ammonia a day

water changes done every sunday

mon- 1ppm
tues- 2ppm
weds- 3ppm
thurs- 4ppm
fri- 5ppm
sat- 6ppm
sun- 7ppm

(a 100% water change is done here)

as we can see... even if the 2 gallon does not get a midweek water change... it will have less waste than a 1 gallon with a 50% WC mid week...

sometimes I see people criticise others for putting two bettas in a divided 2.5, when the same person generally approves of 1 gallons. makes no sense XD lol.

I've also read people who normall keeps bettas at 78F notching up their heaters in winter to 82F because it's cold...
so which is heavier, 1lb of feathers or 1lb of rocks?

I do recommend doing some thinking and not simply regurgitate information. Based on assumptions alone smetimes feelings might be hurt :3 ... But really, I'm sure we all mean well XD

but back to the tail biting...
Bettas tail bite when there is a large current.. or when they're bored. sometimes they bit because they think their ta belings to anoter betta. dummies, lol.

but there is nothing to worry about if you can keep your water pristine, some bettas are chronic biters...

Last edited by ao; 02-22-2013 at 11:13 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #6 
Seaman2012

Thank you for the information! It was helpful :) I keep their tanks very clean I was just a little worried :/
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 
Seaman2012

And yeah I am sure because I watched him bite it.. But as long as I keep the water really clean then I should be okay. I just don't want it to turn to finrot.