Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #1 
firefox1984

I dont know what is wrong with him!

I bought this guy about two weeks ago. He looked good and was very energetic. I had him in a community tank 33 Gal then I moved him to a smaller 10 liter tank, he still look good and after two days his fins shriveled up over night and he is getting worse and worse. I am doing 50% water changes every other day and 100% twice a week, his tank is heated, with a sponge filter and a smaller regular filter. The temp is around 79-80, I was feeding him fresh/frozen blood worms and/or Betta pellets. twice a day but he hasn't eaten in three days. I treated the water with some aquarium salt and also put some fungal medication in there. I treat the water with a conditioner and so far the water is good NO3 <10 NO2<0 GH <7D KH <10 PH <7,6 Cl2 <0 can you guys help me out?
Attached Images

firefox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I suspect his immune response was compromised-most likely due to stress.

Good that you moved him to the smaller tank-I would remove the filter and any water movement and reduce your water changes to 2-50% weekly-1 water only and 1 with substrate cleaning. Leaving him in the container for water changes. I would add a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf to help ease stress, toughen fins/scales and for the antibacterial/fungal properties.

Premix the tannin water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add either IAL(1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min.

Remove half the water in the tank he is in-Using the premixed tannin water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour. Leave the water level low for now. This will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start a tannin water treatment.

Tomorrow-using the premixed tannin water-(It should look darker)-add to his tank-about 25%. Later in the day-finish filling the tank with the tannin water. Provided that his is not struggling to swim-if he is leave the low water level. Dim lit quiet location for a couple of days.

You may need to mix some more up to have ready to use for the 50% water changes twice a week for 2 weeks. Provided that he has improved-You can start making the twice weekly water changes using fresh, dechlorinated, like temp water for the water changes to get him acclimated back to fresh water or you can leave him in the tannin stained water forever-its good for them.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response.

Keep us posted...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #3 
firefox1984

Can I use that black water stuff and or a almond leaf? I live in Germany so some things are really hard to get.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Indian almond leaf (IAL) is perfect to use...
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #5 
firefox1984

Thank you so much I'll keep you posted on his status
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6 
callistra

Also just wondering how you are acclimating your fish to all these water changes, and exactly how you are doing the changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #7 
firefox1984

Well the first one when I moved him I took the water from the big tank about three gallons and then put him in there. Then when I changed the water I scooped him in a cup with his water changed the tank water tried to keep it the same temp then I put his cup in there and released him after an hour. I am new to the Betta world so I'm sure this is all my fault. I feel terrible that he is ill and is so miserable.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #8 
firefox1984

I am using Tetra ToruMin for the tannin water, so I just add the crushed almond leafs to that?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #9 
firefox1984

By the way since I turned all the pumps off and killed the light he is doing much better he is swimming around but still won't eat.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I don't know what "Tetra ToruMin" is....But crush the IAL up and place it in the tank with the Betta so it can release its tannins.

Good to hear he is responding to the still water...a bit more time and he should start to eat....

Keep us posted....