Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 
lilmissj01

I did an unplanned rescue....

So I was at Petco earlier this evening and of course I had to peek at the bettas since I have a section in my divided tank just screaming for an occupant lol. Well I found this absolutely gorgeous double tale male. I noticed some possible fin rot, but he was just too pretty to pass up. Well I get up to the counter and I look over to my brother who is holding the cup and I see that the betta is at the top on its side. He was still breathing and he would swim, but it wasn't normal. He would try to swim forward but his tale would float up and he would be vertical. He also couldn't keep himself upright and was leaning to the side at times. I knew I could't leave him there, he was pulling at my heart strings. So I brought him home I have him acclimating to the water temp of the qt tank and I am going to slowly add my epsom salt solution to the water over the course of an hour. Wish me luck!!! And as always, any advice is always welcome.
lilmissj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Goodluck!!! Epsom salts would be a good idea. Keeping his temp at around 82-83 could be a good idea as well. I'd fast for a few days to see if its just sbd or bloat causing it as well

I hope he survives
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #3 
lilmissj01

He seems to be doing good so far in his epsom salts qt. He is swimming a little bit, but mostly sitting at the top. He's not leaning as much now. Here are a couple of pics...not great, but at least you can kinda see him. He is a double tail. **the "white" spots on his body in the one pic are just water bubbles**
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Poor guy :(
It may be a good idea to add a tall plant or two so he has something to rest on at the surface.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
lilmissj01

Unfortunately, I don't have a tall plant ATM. Won't be able to get one tomorrow either due to the bad winter storm heading my way. Hopefully Friday I will be able to get him a taller plant. I have a short plant and a hide in there. No gravel. I went ahead and made a makeshift resting spot out of an airline holder and a piece of airline. I used to make these for my ADF's so they could rest near the surface.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

ooh, I got a totally random email from some college someplace - emporia state univeristy - saying due to weather all classes will be cancelled till friday. I'm assuming this is the storm you are getting?

do you have any of the tetra water wonder plants? if so, you can remove the base and they will float. I find my guys like to rest in them at night
Quote:
I went ahead and made a makeshift resting spot out of an airline holder and a piece of airline. I used to make these for my ADF's so they could rest near the surface.
Thats a neat idea
also are his eyes cloudy or is that just an effect of the flash?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 02-21-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #7 
lilmissj01

Probably...I live near St.Louis, MO...but I live just across the river in IL. His eyes are clear, so just a flash effect.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #8 
aemaki09

Wow! He's a gorgeous boy!
Hopefully he keeps getting better! I'd hate to see such a gorgeous boy go to waste because of a pet store
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #9 
lilmissj01

I know. That's why he came home with me and I am trying to revive him. I found a soft plastic plant that i tore off the base and I have it floating in there. Hopefully this will be sufficient till i can get a better plant.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I'm sure he is happy to be out of the cup!