Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 
Sonnenlitcht

Hello! Tell me about betta care!

I am new, and i am getting a betta in the next year. I can get a 5 gallon tank with it. I am getting one when i go off to college ( anyone curious, going to be vet tech). I would love a buddy to live through college. Where should i buy this betta? Where is the best place to buy live plants? Anything else?

Thanks!
Sonnenlitcht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 
VJM

Your school has some sort of electronic bulletin board, I bet. Find out where students post "For Sale" items, and I bet you a graduating student has a pet betta they can't take with them. You can get the whole set-up, do a fellow student a solid, and give a fish a great home.

I think Aquabid is ok, although the packages tend to be large. Maybe someone else needs plants, and you could split. The best is local aquarium societies, the For Sale area here, and on other boards dealing with planted tanks. Just QT stuff before adding it to your tank.

Good luck in your studies!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Electronic bulletin board?!
why doesnt my college have one?!

lol

Back on track... local breeders are a great source for betta, then aquabid. You can also check on craigslist. LFS are ok too.... try not to get bettas from walmart...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #4 
Shadyr

The electronic BB is a great idea. Wonder if my college has one by now? ANYWAY:

If that doesn't pan out, you could check craigslist or freecycle or even local thrift stores. And if you want to buy new, you could probably save by ordering online or waiting for one of those super sales at a local chain or store. You'd probably have to get something 10G or smaller. The Petco bookshelf tanks are a decent size (little north of 6G) and do come with a filter.

Don't forget a heater! (Again secondhand or online is the way to go)

For my fish and my plants, I just check the selection at my Petsmart and Petco. They each have a big tank or two with live plants, both potted and bundles. The potted ones seem to do better for me than the bundles. I personally am leery of ordering live things online, cause I cannot be there to receive a package most days.

Good on you for doing your research way in advance though! Like many here, I got a betta first, and THEN came looking for info. You are doing it the right way Good luck and I hope you get a good scaley pal.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote