Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 
Kels

Post question about 5.5 gallon tank.

Hello, I'm Kelly. I found this place googling some questions about bettas (My sons first betta got fin rot and sadly didn't make it) and this has pretty much ended up being my go to place for answers, so i thought i'd join. i now find i'm having a little filter problem.

Could i have a 5.5 gallon tank heated with no filter?

I have a 10 Gallon with a filter and a heater. My filters current is a little strong for my Betta, This guy HATES any water movement.

I had him in the 5.5 gallon with a whisper 10i then moved him to a 10 gallon. the current doesnt seem as bad in the 10g Tank came with it's own filter brand is "Grreat Choice" it's a 10/20 internal power filter,flow rate is 90GPH It came as a starter kit, but he did seem happiest with NO movement. I dont think a 10g can go with no filter and i'd hate to move him from a 10g back to a 5g. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Id hate for anything to happen to this little guy, My son just loves him and misses little John his first fish (and no my son named him after his dad, Not the rapper :)) I cant have him lose a another fishy firend so soon!

Thanks,
Kelly
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

I run my tanks without filters and they range in size from 2 to 10 gallons. You absolutely don't need a filter for any tank really as long as you are willing to do the water changes. Sponge filters are another good alternative, but some fish don't like them very much as they do disturb the surface of the water, however they don't really cause a current which is what you are looking for. They are fairly cheap to make though so that is something you should look into.

Of course in my mind the best filter of all is plants. All my tanks are heavily planted in place of any sort of filter. You just need the right lights!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #3 
Kels

Well that's great news! When i bought the new tank, i was tempted to buy a mess of plants but thought I'd find the right ones and make sure i had the right light before i brought a bunch of pants home and killed them!

when he was in the 5.5 i unplugged his filter for the night and i woke up to a mess of bubbles. I thought the current was to strong for him to be making them but he wont even make them in the whole of his floating log if the filters on. Could i unplug it and maybe only run the filter for about 1-2 hours a day? until i get the plants?

What wold be the best plants? What grows fast? what plant can i get to float around the tank? What does best with bettas?

Right now my lights are incandescent. The ones that came with the tank.

Thanks again for the info.

Kelly
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

see if you can get a 6500k cfl light for the hood.

There are many nice plants for beginners...
I made a guide here :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=129513

i would recommend fast growing stem plants and floaters :)
java fern and anubias are also great plants

Last edited by ao; 02-21-2013 at 12:24 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

There's no point in running a filter for only a few hours per day. The purpose of a filter is to grow beneficial bacteria that eats up ammonia. If the filter is off for more than a few hours, any bacteria will die because it's not getting oxygen. So it's better to just not have a filter if you're going to do that, or try a sponge filter. Remember that if you don't use a filter you have to keep up with multiple water changes per week.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #6 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
There's no point in running a filter for only a few hours per day. The purpose of a filter is to grow beneficial bacteria that eats up ammonia. If the filter is off for more than a few hours, any bacteria will die because it's not getting oxygen. So it's better to just not have a filter if you're going to do that, or try a sponge filter. Remember that if you don't use a filter you have to keep up with multiple water changes per week.

so 2-3 times a week? how much water do i replace 25% to 50%?

I think i'm going to turn off my filter today and see if he seems happier.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #7 
waterdog

I filter everything from my 2.5 to my 5 to my 10, etc. IMO sponge filters are the best thing to happen to betta keeping since water. Cycled tanks are healthier for the fish and less work for the owner so there is a better chance the owner will stick with a once a week 50% change versus several weekly changes.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #8 
heckofagator

does a sponge filter have enough surface area for bacteria to cycle and maintain them in a smaller tank?
heckofagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #9 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecko***ator View Post
does a sponge filter have enough surface area for bacteria to cycle and maintain them in a smaller tank?
Sponge filters actually have a larger area and provide MORE area for bacteria than power filters do. Also, as explained in the thread, you don't loose bacteria by replacing filter pads as all you do to clean a sponge filter is squeeze it out in some used tank water, so the dirt goes out but the bacteria stays in.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #10 
Kels

What is the best sponge filter? and if i went with sponge, i would need an air pump, tubs and the sponge? and i missing something.

Sorry, the people at my LPS might as well be working at McD's. better to ask all my stupid questions here, at least i know i'll get the right answer and not some answer pulled out of there ass.

*sidenote:
I turned off my filter yesterday, going to do a water change today about 25%. Since i turned off my filter, he has a pretty nice bubble nest going on and random bubbles all over!

Last edited by Kels; 02-22-2013 at 01:05 PM.