Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 
ForFinn

White Betta Grows Black Spots?

Hello everyone. My daughter got a new betta about three weeks ago. When we bought him he was pearly white. In the last week, we noticed him getting some small black spots on him. In the last two days, the spots have grown tremendously and he now has coloring like a dairy cow! These spots are all the way up to his head and in his fins.

He is acting just fine. He has been a very active fish and takes full advantage of his 3.5 gallon tank. He has also been eating normally, attacking the bloodworms we feed him and coming over to anyone that comes to look at him to see if they are going to feed him.

Does anyone have any idea what these black spots might be?

Some more information:
  • We did a 50% water change last week after we noticed the initial spots.
  • The tank is 79 degrees.
  • We were thinking he might be a very young fish. His fins are not really very fanned out yet (but have gotten longer since we got him) and he does not puff up when approached with a mirror. In fact, he swims away very quickly.
ForFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Sounds like a marble! They'll generally change colors as they age (or as they feel like it it seems ... lol).

See this thread for colorations: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #3 
ForFinn

His spots are quite a bit larger than that marble fish, but maybe? That would be great if he was just changing colors! I am posting a picture below. It's not awesome. He is super fast, but it was the best one I could get! :)
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
GailC

Thats a marble alright. He could change drastically or just a bit, you'll have to post pics in a few weeks to compare.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #5 
ForFinn

Whew!

Thanks for the input. That makes me feel a lot better! He is such a spunky little guy, I would have felt very badly if he were sick.