Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Cool Eranikus' New Moss Hammock // Pics + Vid

With adding so many betta to my collection (18 between 11 tanks total), I've been behind in making them all hammocks. Finally I made Eranikus his.

I've seen the plastic mesh hammocks with moss sandwhiched between two layers, and aesthetically I dont like the design - so much mesh! I also considered threading the fishing line under and over moss on one layer, but didnt want to risk ruining the moss - so I opted for just laying the moss inside teh hammock after placing it in the tank, and after the vid was taken I realized he needed more room or might not use it. So I just weighed the moss down with a few pieces of aquarium sea glass. =)

Don't let his Grumpy-Fishy Face fool you, he's already been in and out several times after giving it a good inspection xD

http://youtu.be/Ugn4Ug4nzTU

By the way, for those who might recognize him from his 'dorkfish' thread, his scars from scraping his head against his rock in panic have completely healed =) he's doing great!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Could you have threaded the moss itself through the openings? I've been considering doing that to start a moss wall in my sorority tank but wasn't sure if it would work or not...I have so much of it that I am thinking about doing it anyways
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #3 
Sea Dragon

Thats so cute and creative x)
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Hee, thanks ^^

The moss I prlly coud've, but I've found threading anything is a pain int eh back and hands. And it's not just moss in there, the more leafy bit I was told is a sort of german sea/aquarium weed. >> So I dont know what it is, but it's tough and beautiful and bettas love it.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 
Skyewillow

that looks awfully comfy, I think I need one of those!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 
Syriiven

He's been resting in it on and off, I hope I can sneak in here tomorrow morning and find him sleeping in it instead of under his anubia or behind his rock xD
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Hee, thanks ^^

The moss I prlly coud've, but I've found threading anything is a pain int eh back and hands. And it's not just moss in there, the more leafy bit I was told is a sort of german sea/aquarium weed. >> So I dont know what it is, but it's tough and beautiful and bettas love it.
That leafy stuff looks like subwassertang or pellia. I hate that stuff lol it was always wayy too messy for me to be able to keep in my tanks every time I tried it.
I guess it would be a pain. I was thinking about trying it with a crochet hooked needle, that would probably make it a little less labor intensive. I just know that in my tanks everything gets blown around plant wise so I need to keep it tied down somehow lol

Regaurdless though, I am absolutely in love with the idea! Might have to try it after I see how my moss wall works out
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 
Syriiven

Goodluck! I look forward to pics as I'm interested in moss walls too!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #9 
leahleigh

I really like this! I've been thinking about getting a betta hammock but I really don't like that plastic leafy idea. I've seen those floating log things, but they take up too much space IMO.

Does the mesh float on it's own? How did you get it to stick together in the middle?
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #10 
Syriiven

Just cut a rectangle then folded it into a cylinder shape and used fishing line to weave the edges together. They do float freely, but I use suction cups to keep mine in a stable spot with little water flow.