Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #21 
Silverrealm

Found a really great Ebay Plant store! Says they ship internationally. I wonder if there are transhipper stipulations with plants as there are with livestock?
http://stores.ebay.com/AquaticMagic_...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Silverrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #22 
Silverrealm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
You can use dried oak leaves or dried indian almond leaves (IAL).
Thanks for the info!

I was able to find this, it is also called: Catappa Ketapang or Indian Almond Leaf
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #23 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrealm View Post
I was always told if you let your tap water sit for a week the chemicals will evaporate and you can use this to do your water changes. Is this a myth? I'd like to become a little better than amateur since I am in my 30's now haha!
That used to be true, when most municipal tap water was treated with Chlorine, and in fact it was usually safe to use after sitting for just 24 hours. Now that most have switched to Chloramines that isn't the case - Chloramines will stay in water for several weeks unless neutralized. It's best to use a dechlorinator, and most work basically instantly. Prime is what is most often recommended because it's concentrated and lasts a really long time, but most of them are just fine. You can either pre-treat the water you add to your tank or treat the volume of the tank and add tap water directly to the tank.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #24 
Kwomais

Prime is totally safe for live plants. I have only live plants in my soil-based tank and I have a lot of them and use Prime weekly with water changes. My plants are doing so well that I have difficulty keeping up with the trimmings! I don't see and stunting/damaging effects of Prime in my tank :D
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #25 
Silverrealm

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I went tonight and got a few plants for my son's ecosystem we started, and I got some REAL marimo balls.

I also picked up some Prime to get our tank started and some substrate for the live plants.
Next on my list is to get a stand, I say one at my LFS that is very eye-appealing.

I am excited to get this start up going.

I also made a DIY tank divider tonight exactly as described in this thread:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #26 
Shadyr

I think you are having way too much fun with this

Oh wait...no such thing as too much fun!

One thing to check for. Some plants/animals are illegal to ship internationally, so you'd best ask the seller beforehand. If you aren't after anything really exotic, Petsmart and Petco have some decent live plants.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #27 
Silverrealm

Thanks Shadyr!

And there is nothing wrong with being productive with research... I have always liked researching! :D I am a geek, always have been haha!

I can't wait to show you guys pictures of my tank once I get it setup!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #28 
Shadyr

+1 for geekery

I love learning about ... well most things, so I'm totally with you on the researching!

Hope everything comes together nicely for your tank! I've just been having fun with the girls, they love to swim through an nip my fingers as I sink the tetra mini-pellets. I think they are trying to say "Forget THOSE guys, feed US first!"
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote