Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 
gorillakev

Hello new member from the Bay Area California

Greetings to all. I'd figure I'd start here and introduce myself to all the members on here. I joined this board in hopes of getting back into Bettas, I haven't had a betta for over 5 years and I decided that I want to have another betta/s as a pet. I still have my last setup from 5 years ago, and it consists of a 5 gallon divider tank, 100 watt heater( I'm not sure still stored away), a mini fluval filter. I also still have a mini 1 gallon plastic divider tank also. Along with an extra 10 gal and 30 gal. I will probably start with the 1 gallon plastic tank and see where it goes from there.

I'm hoping to find a local breeder in the San Jose area that has halfmoons. I went browsing around the big chain pet stores and was surprised to see that petsmart sell halfmoons and deltas there, i remember they only carried veil tales and crown tails and of course females. Not sure I really want to buy from from there since most Bettas from chain places look very stressed out. Any advice would be good or shall I post this on a different part of the forum

Last edited by gorillakev; 02-21-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Add text
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #2 
waterdog

Welcome to Bettas R Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to get busy and put all that equipment to work making better homes for deserving bettas! LOL

Most of us on here get our fish from one of the chain stores. Yes, they are usually stressed, but it is so cool to see what proper water conditions, proper food, and a little TLC can restore these guys to!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #3 
gorillakev

Thank you I'm in the process of cycling my 10 gallon right now should be nice. I also purchased/ saved a crown tail betta from Walmart today. kind of sad though he was swimming in dirty water plus there was a crack in the cup which was leaking bad plus a majority of the bettas were already dead or almost dead(sucks i know). i am housing him in my 1 gal tank right now until my 10 gal is cycled. Much more livelier will post pics up soon.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #4 
gorillakev

Here's Blu taken right when I got home. All take more tomorrow when the lighting is better in his 1 gal

Last edited by gorillakev; 02-25-2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Add
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #6 
Ted

Hello from a fellow Bay Area neighbor! :)

Thanks for saving your buddy from Wal-Mart. It is sometimes appalling what I see in their so-called "fish department". :(
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Hello from a fellow Bay Area neighbor! :)

Thanks for saving your buddy from Wal-Mart. It is sometimes appalling what I see in their so-called "fish department". :(

Hello Ted, it really is a shame just how much dead loss they have and they don't bother cleaning it till a customer points it out.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 
gorillakev

I got to say after switching him from his little cup to the one gallon he seems much more happy swimming around and very lively. Here's a pic a couple hours after I transferred him to his temp setup.

I had to get a mirror to actually get him to flare up, now he flares up when I enter the room. He has some fin damage but its ok.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #9 
blu the betta

welcome to bettafish.com nice to meet you.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #10 
MoonShadow

Welcome! And great job taking in your first rescue!! I run a small rescue and always have a couple rescues at any given time, I would be happy to help you out in any way that I can!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote