Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #1 
cujiine

I've seen loads about moss walls, but...

I've just about fallen in love with the way Christmas Moss looks.

I'm getting ready to set up a planted 10 gallon split tank and I wanted to look into the plants I'd want to put in the tanks before bothering to buy anything or get anything set up. (Mostly because I'm impatient about getting it set up and I'll want to have just about everything ready to go when I do set it up.)

My question is, would a Christmas Moss wall work as a divider if I use craft mesh? Should I use a bigger gauge on the mesh if I plan on doing it so I can ensure water flow on both sides of the divider? Should I just do with a moss wall?
cujiine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #2 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujiine View Post
I've just about fallen in love with the way Christmas Moss looks.

I'm getting ready to set up a planted 10 gallon split tank and I wanted to look into the plants I'd want to put in the tanks before bothering to buy anything or get anything set up. (Mostly because I'm impatient about getting it set up and I'll want to have just about everything ready to go when I do set it up.)

My question is, would a Christmas Moss wall work as a divider if I use craft mesh? Should I use a bigger gauge on the mesh if I plan on doing it so I can ensure water flow on both sides of the divider? Should I just do with a moss wall?
I am actually working on this for my breeder tank... =P

I am planning to use flame moss or mini java moss, as it is a little looser in its growth than christmas moss. That and my Christmas moss has been tied onto a tree for 3 months and still won't root! >=/

Best bet will be to attach it and let it grow in horizontally before standing it up as the divider, will stop it growing in all uneven. And don't trim too often... trimming will lead to tighter growth. :P

I hope this works... I will have the 'mosswall' divider (5gauge) and a plain divder (also 5 gauge actually). Leave the mosswall against the tank wall with the female (1/3 of the tank) and the clean divider whilst they nest and flirt, diver out for breeding, and whilst male is still parenting, then when it is time for the boy to come out, I'm gunna try mosswalling him in to the third the famle was in for a few hours, to transition him away from the fry... no idea if it will work. If it doesn't reduce stress I'll just plop him into QT... :P

Last edited by BettaMummy87; 10-26-2014 at 10:47 AM.
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #3 
Aqua Aurora

I'd think a moss wall divider will lead to very reduce flow through mesh (for heating water and filtering). I'd also suspect keeping the mesh at a slight diagonal "/" (bottom pushed out further than top) would help, other wise bottom most growth will suffer from lack of light and die (if already at low lighting at the top) or grow much slower than the moss by the top. Be mindful with balancing light intensity, you don't want the top part covered in hair algae.
Also take care when buying Christmas moss, plenty of people will miss sell cheaper (uglier) mosses as the more fancy pricy ones.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #4 
cujiine

That's what I'm concerned about Aqua_Aurora...

Would it work out if I were to just buy two smaller filters and heaters so each side has one? That way I don't have to worry about water flow as much...

Would that over heat the tank though?
cujiine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #5 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujiine View Post
That's what I'm concerned about Aqua_Aurora...

Would it work out if I were to just buy two smaller filters and heaters so each side has one? That way I don't have to worry about water flow as much...

Would that over heat the tank though?
I've not kept 2 heaters in a tank before but theoretically no it should not over heat the tank for adjustable or pre-set temp heaters. If you are using "constant on" style heaters I recommend getting one of [these] (has two plugs and one censor you can put in the middle) great temp controller for constant on heaters.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 AM   #6 
linga

nice share....
linga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas moss, dividers, moss wall