Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #1 
mepxx

Exclamation Planning for a new tank! Please help!

Ive been looking into upgrading my tank and adding some live plants to it. I have one betta fish and will soon have a 5 gallon tank. Ive been reading a lot about aquascaping and never realized how much went into it, but i really want to give it a shot. I read that you have to add CO2 and have proper lighting and add fertilizer etc, does any of this affect my betta?? This is also going to be my first time cycling the tank when i get it, should i add the plants after the process? Im going to buy a sponge filter (I would also appreciate brands for this), does the filter affect the plants at all?? If there are any plants for beginners that are pretty easy to take care of, please let me know! Thank you!! :D
mepxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #2 
Faolanz123005

Co2 should not harm your fish. Co2 is used in many filter pads (wash before using). I recommend you get a fish tank that is around 2.5 -4 gallons if you have only one betta and no other fish your betta will do just fine in a 2.0-2.5 tank. When you do switch tanks watch your betta and keep a bowl of old fish tank water just in case you see your betta fish starting to die or feel very uncomfortable. When changing tank to a larger tank make sure the water is close to the same conditions as standards and original tank. This will cause less stress and harm to your betta. Also you can add a pinch of salt. Bettas are tropical and brackish fish so they don't mind a little salt every now and then. If you progress slowly you can even make your betta become a salt water fish(but I don't recommend thug just a little salt everyone in a while Is a better idea). You should use this tank below this is the tank I use for my betta. I've had many betta last up to lowest being 2 to highest being four years of life with them I definatly reccomend this tank or something relevant. For additional information private message me. Hope this helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Led-Min.../dp/B00INCRQXG

Last edited by Faolanz123005; 03-28-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Picture link didn't work.
Faolanz123005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepxx View Post
Ive been looking into upgrading my tank and adding some live plants to it. I have one betta fish and will soon have a 5 gallon tank. Ive been reading a lot about aquascaping and never realized how much went into it, but i really want to give it a shot. I read that you have to add CO2 and have proper lighting and add fertilizer etc, does any of this affect my betta?? This is also going to be my first time cycling the tank when i get it, should i add the plants after the process? Im going to buy a sponge filter (I would also appreciate brands for this), does the filter affect the plants at all?? If there are any plants for beginners that are pretty easy to take care of, please let me know! Thank you!! :D
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

It's great that you're getting a five gallon tank as they are so much easier to maintain and aquascape.

You don't need CO2 at all unless you get into more high-tech plants. If you don't have a light already, this one is great. Eight hours of light is plenty; more and you might be inviting algae.
http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting/...-stingray.html

You can add plants right along with your Betta if you do a fish-in cycle. I prefer to do a 25% water change when Ammonia or Nitrite reach .25ppm but you can do 50% at .50ppm as suggested in the link below.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=507585

For plants, if you have rooted plants (Swords, Cryptocoryne) you do need root and, IMO, Iron tabs. Swords, especially are heavy root feeders. There are several small Swords that won't get too big for a five gallon.

If you have Anubias, Java Fern, Moss, or floating stem plants, it is nice to have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive which feeds through the water column.

These are easy beginner plants: Swords, Cryptocoryne, Anubias, Java Fern, Moss, Narrow Leaf Anacharis, Guppy/Najas Grass. The Anubias and Java Fern have rhizomes so you don't plant them; instead, you anchor to something.

Have fun!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #4 
mepxx

Thank you so much!! All the info was really helpful! :D
mepxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #5 
aaronpham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolanz123005 View Post
Co2 should not harm your fish. Co2 is used in many filter pads (wash before using). I recommend you get a fish tank that is around 2.5 -4 gallons if you have only one betta and no other fish your betta will do just fine in a 2.0-2.5 tank. When you do switch tanks watch your betta and keep a bowl of old fish tank water just in case you see your betta fish starting to die or feel very uncomfortable. When changing tank to a larger tank make sure the water is close to the same conditions as standards and original tank. This will cause less stress and harm to your betta. Also you can add a pinch of salt. Bettas are tropical and brackish fish so they don't mind a little salt every now and then. If you progress slowly you can even make your betta become a salt water fish(but I don't recommend thug just a little salt everyone in a while Is a better idea). You should use this tank below this is the tank I use for my betta. I've had many betta last up to lowest being 2 to highest being four years of life with them I definatly reccomend this tank or something relevant. For additional information private message me. Hope this helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Led-Min.../dp/B00INCRQXG
Off topic, but bettas are freshwater fish definately not brackish At least the variety many people keep at home. A Betta CANNOT be converted into salt water.
aaronpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #6 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Hello! I strongly recommend java moss and Marino moss balls. Both are beneficial for nitrite and fishies (as all live plants are), super hardy, and easy to care for! All they need is some light, and they can adjust to different water parameters. For java moss, I'm pretty sure you can just plop it in (that's what I've read, cuz I've only had mine for a few days and it hasn't rooted yet) or you can tie it down. Moss balls- they will sink unless you squeeze the water out of them. They actually suck up dirt (I've seen it!) And all you have to do for it is take it out and squeeze it when you do a water change. Oh- and the bettas will actually rest on the java moss like a pillow! It's super cute! (:
THATDragonLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #7 
Faolanz123005

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpham View Post
Off topic, but bettas are freshwater fish definately not brackish At least the variety many people keep at home. A Betta CANNOT be converted into salt water.
Betts fish are tropical brackish water fish I know that for a fact I have done lots of research and taking care of bettas. You don't necessaryly need to add tons of salt but you can add a bit of salt to benefit them. Also it is possible to turn a betta to a salt water fish . I have a salt water beta in my tank.if you need more I for on this personals send me a message. Thx
Old 03-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #8 
Faolanz123005

Tip: betttas can breath regular air for a short period of time so of you take it out of the tank it can breath the same air you breath only for a short period of time. When you change your water make sure he temp is around76-82 degrees. Don't use your hand unless you know what temp water is with your hand if you don't I suggest u get a thermometer.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #9 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Oh yeah... about what Fao said with the 2.5 gallon being better: while yes a 2.5 gallon is a minimum tank size, bigger is always better ( except for the rare bettas who prefers smaller spaces- but it's just that- rare. I wouldn't bet on it )
And them being brackish fish... well that's interesting. I've never heard that before.
THATDragonLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #10 
Faolanz123005

Quote:
Originally Posted by THATDragonLovesBettas View Post
Oh yeah... about what Fao said with the 2.5 gallon being better: while yes a 2.5 gallon is a minimum tank size, bigger is always better ( except for the rare bettas who prefers smaller spaces- but it's just that- rare. I wouldn't bet on it )
And them being brackish fish... well that's interesting. I've never heard that before.
Belives me I know betttas are brackish water fish. But it doesn't mean dump a load of salt in your tank just a bit of salt could help a betta a lot.