Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #1 
SunnySideIvy

Petco Moss Balls?

My local Petco has started to sell moss balls and I was wondering if anybody else has seen this and tried them. They come in the betta cups, one moss ball, for I believe about $6-8. I was interested in getting one but I was nervous because..you know..petco.
SunnySideIvy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Absolutely. They're Marimo balls, specialized algae that rolls into a ball. Very easy plant to take care of, it will appreciate light and water flow but if you don't have water flow then just push it around every now and then to keep it's round shape. They come from Japan rivers where they're pushed around all day long and hence the round shape, but we can mimic that.

Every now and then, like every other week or so, you can take the marimo out and swish it in old tank water (generally easiest to do after a water change) and give it a gentle squeeze to get the caught debris out of it. Swish again and roll back to ball shape and plop back into the tank. It may float a bit after that until it becomes totally waterlogged once more. That's really all there is to it :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #3 
SunnySideIvy

Sweet! I was worried it was those java moss strange balls. I've always wanted a moss ball too!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, some still have the Java Moss balls but you can clearly tell the difference between them; marimo looks like hairs all bunched together, nice and soft like a rug. Java Moss looks much stringier and generally they keep them in the normal tanks. The ones in the cups are always Marimos :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #5 
Aqua Aurora

The balls sold in betta cups are real marimo, the ones sold as "moss balls" by fluval in a clear plastic and cardboard packaging are not true marimo.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #6 
cynsnn

This is good to know about the moss balls I've wanted to get a couple for awhile now, but didn't no how to take care of them! And after the 1st time of trying to grow java moss and ferns, I'm scared to try growing any more unless I have help! Which I have now thanks to you friendly folks here! I have tried the java moss again, and its doing ok, but could do better. The fern is staying the same as it has been for 5 months now! At least it's not dead! Cindy
cynsnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #7 
Tree

petco now is having "A Betta friend" and they are Anubias plants. LOL but man they are spendy... $9 for one plant in a cup? x_x I could get four of them at petsmart for that much.
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #8 
DangerousAngel

^Exactly!!
I have one in Dangerous' tank, it adds a nice natural look to his already natural-looking tank! I'd totally recommend one! They're very easy to care for too!
DangerousAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #9 
SunnySideIvy

Okay, great! I had a short broadleaf in Drax's tank but it browned over
So I've been reluctant to try live plants again.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #10 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
petco now is having "A Betta friend" and they are Anubias plants. LOL but man they are spendy... $9 for one plant in a cup? x_x I could get four of them at petsmart for that much.
All the anubias-a-la-cup at my petco are dead mush (complete lack of lighting) I've put them by the utility sink to be dumped before but they just get put back on the shelf.. not even the stupidest aquarist would buy them there's no green .. nothing even resembling a plant left its just fibrous shreds...
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote