Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #1 
sindorei

Groundcover and floating, how does it work?

I want to get some flame moss, but I dont want stuff in my tank like big mats, because i do have normal plants dotted all over. Is there a way to make mosses anchor into the gravel itself and stay there?

Second question is, I want some kind of floating thing to provide hiding spaces, but I dont want to choke the light from the plants underneath, or the eventual flame moss. What are some good options that dont grow massive hanging roots and are also bullet proof? I looked at frogbit and it grows huge roots and I dont care for how it looks, and duckweed seems to be the bane of existence everywhere and maybe I wont want that either?

(i will not be using special props like ferts or co2 or fancy light bulbs. its a rubbish 10 gallon kit with LEDs and i cannot invest more money into it)
sindorei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #2 
Witchipoo

Anacharis, riccia and water sprite make good floaters. I am more concerned with my bettas health and happiness than any plant, so my tanks have lots of floaters wiith long roots because my bettas love them. For rooted plants i have some wisteria and mostly silk plants that need no light.
If I had fish that did well in brightly lit tanks I would go crazy with live plants, but the bettas come first.
Witchipoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #3 
sindorei

Thanks! Right now the other plants are some kind of hornwort (i think) and melon and amazon swords, and driftwood. I like water wisteria a lot but i cant find it anywhere but aquabid. Iv also seen that java moss can be left free floating.

do you have pictures of your set up with the things you have that float?
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #4 
Witchipoo

Let me see if I have a decent pic. Warning, I don't "arrange" my tanks to be aesthetically pleasing, I like a wild, sort of overgrown look.
This first one is my spawn tank, it's a wild tangle of watersprite, riccia and anacharis.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160331_135636_2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	778521
The plant behind this girl is watersprite.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-22 11.48.12.png
Views:	7
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	778529
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #5 
Witchipoo

Crap, that first pic isn't very good, hard to seenwhen I have to choose from my picture gallery on my phone.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #6 
Witchipoo

Watersprite is nice, you can float it, tie it down or plant it.
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #7 
sindorei

I place things rather randomly too, I just want something aesthetically pleasing AND healthy and safe for the fish and plants. Im avoiding high or moderate light for that reason :D I have something floating now with stems, that looks like it should grow vertically, and I dont like how it looks. I want something that floats that look like it should float, if that makes any sense at all. i googled water sprite and its always anchored, like a "normal" plant. is it supposed to be that way or left free floating?
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #8 
Witchipoo

You can do either with it. It's really pretty and feathery looking too. The way it floats in the water is perfect for bettas, mine shove themselves in it head first to sleep.