Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #1 
wongawonga

plant suggestions for my new tank plz :-)

Hi all

I've just purchased a new tank. The juwel vio 40 tank, which is 30lt (why its called the vio 40 I don't know lol)

Anyway I've finally made my mind up regarding fish and I'm wanting to add a beta to my tank (possibly a friend to an algae eater or shrimp - but that's a separate post).

I'd like a planted tank, plenty of places to investigate/hid in/nibble on! I've bought a bag of tetra complete substrate to aid plant growth. My only problem is I'm not sure what plants to get! Haha

I'd like tall in the back, medium in front of them and to the sides then the odd ball of mossy stuff at the front.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Also will I need to feed the plants? Xx
wongawonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #2 
LaRougeRaven

Well I just recently bought plants, and so I'm not sure how well they keep, but I've also heard about how good Sword Plants are so I bought a couple. They are suppose to be hearty plants.
One plant I have overdone my tank with is Green Cabomba, they were pretty cheap, apparently they also bloom flowers, I can't wait for my buds to open.

Java Fern and Anubis are suppose to be good hearty plants too, that I've read a lot of people telling anyone who is starting out to get some of those.

But watch out for Green Mondo Grass. The long thin grassy type plant, stores state that are "Semi-Aquartic" that can be fully submerged, but after being told about them, I read up and found that they will rot after being in a tank for a couple months, so stay clear of that plant.

Hope this helps. :)
LaRougeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #3 
Bpepp33

I'm a beginner with plants but I love my anubias! they only need low light and they're very hardy.
Bpepp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

What are your tank dimensions? That will aid in determining what plants work best.

In general you can't go wrong with Anubias, Java Fern, Sagittaria, small Swords (not Amazon...get way too big), Tiger Lotus, Dwarf Water Lily, Cryptocoryne parva, 'petchii,' Java Moss, Narrow Leaf Anacharis, Wisteria. There are others but it depends on your tank's footprint and height.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #5 
wongawonga

My tank dimensions are 40 (L) 26 (D) 30 (H)

Xx
wongawonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

16" x 10" x 12. Okey Dokey!

That's about the height of a 20 long or 10 gallon aquarium. Small Swords that would work would be 'Pinwheel', 'Gabrieli', 'Xingu', Pygmy Chain Swords Broadleaf, Pygmy Chain Sword Narrow Leaf and maybe Red Melon Sword. Any of the other plants I listed would work. What I've found is many plants listed as "midground" make good background plants in my 10 and 20.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote