Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #1 
Bpepp33

Water Wisteria and Amazon Sword

I went to Petsmart today and purchased 2 tubes of Water Wisteria and 1 tube of Amazon Swords (both the Top Fin tube plants). I have them in my 2.5 Aqueon Betta Bow tank with LED lights (I am aware that fluorescent is best for plants, but I just have LED for now). I was wondering if these two species will be okay in low light?? I've had 2 Anubias plants and they're doing well
Bpepp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #2 
kjg1029

the sword might suffer, but should be okay if you can manage to find some root tabs (I think seachem are the best) becasue they are heavy root feeders!:)

also after a while its going to waay out grow that tank, so youll want to have a larger tank soon (good excuse right!?) haha
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #3 
livenatso

What type of substrate do you have? I have an amazon sword that does amazingly well under low light in my cube that has fluval stratum in it. Get some root tabs if your substrate isn't nutritious for plants. You'll probably only have to bury one by its roots every couple months. I just use a tiny ikea desk light and I see it growing bigger literally day by day. Im using it as an excuse to upgrade my tank HAHA :D

I hear wisteria does great under low light. I've also heard that it's leaves are different depending on the light it gets. I think most stem plants do okay as long as they can get enough nutrients from the water.
livenatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #4 
copperfish

If you find the sword needs more light you could buy a 50/50 daylight/bluelight bulb and use in a lamp. At 10w it would be plenty of light for a 2.5 gallon. I'd add a couple drops of some CO2 (liquid form) in addition to the tabs. But it is going to grow to big for the tank as said.
copperfish is offline   Reply With Quote