Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #181 
kyle89

I love the plants into the second picture! Its my favorite layout of the two! What kind if plants are they??
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #182 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
I love the plants into the second picture! Its my favorite layout of the two! What kind if plants are they??
Um... let me see...I'm new to this and it's been a while so let me see if I can remember....

The smaller one in front was Wenditti something or something Wenditti, Wenditti Green maybe? I honestly don't remember. Behind that is Java Fern. There is a Dwarf Anubus in there too but you cant see it in the pic. I have Java moss tied to the wood. I can't remember what the stuff in the back corner is but it grows rapidly and I am constantly cutting it back.

Maybe someone else on here that knows more can tell you what it is....if I remember or can find a pic I will post.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #183 
kyle89

That's a big java fern lol. I have a little one. The plant in font of that is what i really like. Thanks

Edit. It looms like green wendtii. My local fish store has it an I was debating on getting it. They arnt as mature as yours.

Last edited by kyle89; 04-05-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #184 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylady View Post
Thank you, unfortunately no, the plants are real but the drift wood is not. I got it at Petco. I would love to find some real drift wood but all the pieces I've seen are huge and very expensive. I'd also like to add a lot more plants, but I'm new to this and can't really afford to buy plants that wont live, so I'm taking it slow until I can research it more. It's hard to get the look I want with different height plants because the tanks are only 9 inches deep, so even my wenditti looks huge in them. Lol
You have a PetsMart? Run down the reptile aisle and check out the Mopani Wood. I got a nice small/medium piece for $7.99. Do NOT get the grapewood. I did research before buying and found people losing entire aquarium stock while using that driftwood.

Petco may also have Mopani Wood in their reptile section.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #185 
Greylady

Yes, there is a Petsmart, Petco and Petsupermarket all within a couple of miles from me. I have seen that in the store but I wasn't sure if it was safe for my tank. Thanks for the tip! Most of the time the pieces I see are too tall as my tank is only 9 inches tall, less a couple inches of substrate and I'm down to about 6 inches if I want it below water level.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #186 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Here's my shared npt aquarium from 2 weeks ago when I first set it up. I don't have a current pic right now, but I added a bunch of java fern and the water wisteria took off. This is the "just planted" pic XP

In the pic:
sand
soil
decor
1 lucky bamboo
4 water wisteria
1 anubius nana
1 heater
1 airstone
1 thermometer

Now:
Add several java fern
and 1 very happy hmdt cellophane betta.
Attached Images

Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #187 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
That's a big java fern lol. I have a little one. The plant in font of that is what i really like. Thanks

Edit. It looms like green wendtii. My local fish store has it an I was debating on getting it. They arnt as mature as yours.
Well it's not a very tall tank, 9 inches, then you have 2 inches of substrate, so it's not as tall as it may seem in the pics. The Wenditti I got from Petco in those clear tube things. If you look in my album titled "Gandalf's Change" you can see how much the Wenditti has grown. I planted it around June last year. I dont use any kind of ferts and I'm just using the light from the lid that came with the tank. So if I can grow it anyone can! Lol

PS: Love your signature!

Last edited by Greylady; 04-05-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #188 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
For crypts, wendtii stays nice and small, easily fit in your 10 gallon. I have spiralis in my 10 gallon, but I went for the mad jungle look. They're draped across the top of the water in a tangle. Wendtii is under the driftwood, spiralis is taking over the top.

Tanks specs (since it's show and tell):

10g tank running two baffled HOB filters
Eco-complete substrate with root tabs
Finnex Fugeray 20" light
CO2 injected, weekly fertilizer added (Flourish for trace nutrients, not currently dosing macros), weekly water change
Flora: Crypt spiralis and wendtii, corkscrew vals, myrio, bacopa carolingia, dwarf hair grass, java and Christmas moss, cabomba, red ludwiga in the back where no one can see it and probably dying
Fauna: VT male (Lucky), 3 oto catfish, 2 nerite snails, ??? baby ramshorn snails

Looks good...
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #189 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
For crypts, wendtii stays nice and small, easily fit in your 10 gallon. I have spiralis in my 10 gallon, but I went for the mad jungle look. They're draped across the top of the water in a tangle. Wendtii is under the driftwood, spiralis is taking over the top.

Tanks specs (since it's show and tell):

10g tank running two baffled HOB filters
Eco-complete substrate with root tabs
Finnex Fugeray 20" light
CO2 injected, weekly fertilizer added (Flourish for trace nutrients, not currently dosing macros), weekly water change
Flora: Crypt spiralis and wendtii, corkscrew vals, myrio, bacopa carolingia, dwarf hair grass, java and Christmas moss, cabomba, red ludwiga in the back where no one can see it and probably dying
Fauna: VT male (Lucky), 3 oto catfish, 2 nerite snails, ??? baby ramshorn snails

Is that algae on the driftwood or marimo moss? ^^; Cool tank, I really like how your crypt wendtii look!
valen1014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #190 
kyle89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylady View Post
Well it's not a very tall tank, 9 inches, then you have 2 inches of substrate, so it's not as tall as it may seem in the pics. The Wenditti I got from Petco in those clear tube things. If you look in my album titled "Gandalf's Change" you can see how much the Wenditti has grown. I planted it around June last year. I dont use any kind of ferts and I'm just using the light from the lid that came with the tank. So if I can grow it anyone can! Lol

PS: Love your signature!
I will check that out. And thanks. Squishy was our first Betta but he was unfortunately only with us for a week :(

Tags
bettathanyou