This tank is gorgeous
Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #222 
carbonxxkidd

Thank you! It's my favorite tank atm :D
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #223 
Nicci Lu

Ooh! Time to show off my new 20 long NPT! I am currently calling it the Algae Farm, because, well, it's an algae farm, lol. Working on a solution there, and in the meantime I'll be getting some Amano shrimp as it's next residents to help me out.

It's got hornwort, frogbit, dwarf sag, pennywort, cabomba, red ludwigia, rotala indica, java fern, java moss, a sword and water wisteria.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #224 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Ooh! Time to show off my new 20 long NPT! I am currently calling it the Algae Farm, because, well, it's an algae farm, lol. Working on a solution there, and in the meantime I'll be getting some Amano shrimp as it's next residents to help me out.

Cut your lighting down to help. You can also add searches excel, it helps a lot in the battle against algae
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #225 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Cut your lighting down to help. You can also add searches excel, it helps a lot in the battle against algae
I've got 2 23 watt bulbs in right now. Possibly too much with my non-carbon injected tank (and I really don't want to get into that kettle of fish :)), but I really don't want to buy new bulbs so that's my last resort. I've tried reducing my photoperiod to 9 hours- this doesn't seem to help. I'm going to try raising my bulbs next, right now they're about 5 inches above the tank. And I do use Excel. :(

Part of the problem is diatoms, which only time can really cure in a new tank- makes me appreciate the otos in my 10! But there's hair algae, too. Much of it is on the new plants that are losing their old leaves and acclimating- I'm hoping once they're all healthy, the hair algae won't have such a foothold.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #226 
FishyFishy89

how long are your lights on?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #227 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
how long are your lights on?
Right now, for 9 hours. I started at 11 hours, then went to 10 and now 9. I honestly haven't noticed much difference.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #228 
FishyFishy89

I think that's perfectly acceptable. What type of algae? I noticed my algae disappeared when I tossed out my half dead hornwort.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #229 
Nicci Lu

Hair algae- it combines with the diatoms and forms nasty brown clumps. The diatoms I know will go away in time. The hair algae forms mostly on the new plants that are taking a while to acclimate, though it also loves my healthy frogbit roots and can be found nearly everywhere. My dwarf sag, pennywort and water wisteria are melting their old leaves, so it might well be same situation as yours. I'm waiting till I get a bit more new growth before I start uprooting and lop off the old stuff. Perhaps I should start now, a couple stems a day.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #230 
FishyFishy89

Ugh! Hair algae, I hate em. The brown/diatoms you can not be bothered by them. I heard they're a sign of a cycled/healthy tank. Are you hand removing the hair algae? Be sure to remove them, if not, they'll kill your plants. They killed some of my cabomba and 95% of my hornwort.

Tags
bettathanyou