Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #231 
carbonxxkidd

I leave my lights on 12 hours a day and have no problems with algae. I have amanos and otos in my 29g, and they are awesome!!! I also rarely fertilize...oops. :X
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #232 
aemaki09

You definitely have too much light. Try raising it or you can put a window screen in between the tank and lights, that seems to help people out a lot.
Algea can suffocate plants, especially diatoms, so it's something you'll want to try to get worked out as fast as possible.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #233 
Mashiro

Hi guys, my 10 gallon planted is a mess right now with cyanobacteria, but I still want to contribute!

In my 2.5 gallon I have a sprig of Wisteria, Duckweed, and a clump of Java Moss.

Please forgive the low resolution, pic was taken with my webcam.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #234 
Nothingness

I have found that zebra snails are the best algae eating snails out there. I put 4 in my 55g 5 days ago and they have almost entirely cleaned my tank of green spot algae
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #235 
Nicci Lu

@FishyFishy- I spent an hour yesterday scraping the hair algae off my frogbit roots with my nails- Ugh! And I've been doing frequent water changes trying to vacuum it up. Problem is, I think I just end up moving the algae to other places when I try to get it off, even using a toothbrush.

@carbonxxkidd- Going to get me some Amanos today. Do you think 6 sounds like a good number for a 20 long? With your Amanos- do you have bottom feeders in the same tank with them? I've heard they can be aggressive feeders and steal the food of slower fish. I was worried about them stealing my kuhli loaches' food. Of course, I can put more food in the tank, but I want the Amanos to eat the algae, not pellets! Was wondering if you've found this to be so.

@aemaki- Okay, so you do think I have too much light. I was beginning to suspect this was the case. Stupid watts per gallon rule- why can't PAR be easier to figure out? lol Funny, I had my husband construct a top for the tank that uses craft netting as a screen (I need an open top for my frogbit, but covered also because my house turns into moth city in the spring/summer and they love drowning themselves in water)- my husband suggested the window screening, but I said no, it will block too much light. Hah! If raising the lights doesn't work, I'll try adding another layer of the netting. Hopefully the Amanos I'm getting today will give me some time to tinker with my lights before my plants start kicking the bucket.

@Nothingness- I was looking into nerites, too, but I heard they are too heavy to eat algae off delicate leaved plants. Do yours?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #236 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
@carbonxxkidd- Going to get me some Amanos today. Do you think 6 sounds like a good number for a 20 long? With your Amanos- do you have bottom feeders in the same tank with them? I've heard they can be aggressive feeders and steal the food of slower fish. I was worried about them stealing my kuhli loaches' food. Of course, I can put more food in the tank, but I want the Amanos to eat the algae, not pellets! Was wondering if you've found this to be so.
I have 4 in my 29g, but could definitely have more. 6 sounds great. I have 6 corys in my tank and they don't seem to fight...but the amanos will grab the wafers I feed to my corys and take them where the corys can't get them so definitely feed a bit extra if you're seeing that. I know they say to not feed your amanos until they eat the algae, but it's hard when you do have bottom feeders because they will definitely take advantage of the kuhli's food. My amanos go nuts over zucchini/cucumber too but I still do see them picking at the plants so they must be eating some algae (again, I don't see hardly any in my tank at all). I kind of think they eat the fish food at feeding time and eat algae the rest of the day/night...Amanos will definitely eat hair algae though, from what I've read. Otos won't, but Siamese Algae Eaters will (but they also get to be pretty aggressive). Also, Mollys and platys pick at and eat hair algae so if you have some of those in your tank...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #237 
SpookyTooth

Beautiful aquariums. I'd share a photo of mine but it's a state at the moment.

I used to like Amanos until the female started trying to eat my betta's tail. What's worse is that she started actively seeking Red out... and wouldn't let his tail go. Despite being fed regularly she just wanted to get the poor fish. She and her mate are in a new home now though, thankfully, so calm has been restored. I still think Amanos are fantastic animals, they are hilarious and very interesting to observe... just not for Red.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 05-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #238 
aemaki09

Quote:

@aemaki- Okay, so you do think I have too much light. I was beginning to suspect this was the case. Stupid watts per gallon rule- why can't PAR be easier to figure out? lol Funny, I had my husband construct a top for the tank that uses craft netting as a screen (I need an open top for my frogbit, but covered also because my house turns into moth city in the spring/summer and they love drowning themselves in water)- my husband suggested the window screening, but I said no, it will block too much light. Hah! If raising the lights doesn't work, I'll try adding another layer of the netting. Hopefully the Amanos I'm getting today will give me some time to tinker with my lights before my plants start kicking the bucket.

I've never had Amanos, but out of all the types I've had, they have never really done much with cleaning anything in my tanks...so be prepared for them to not be what you needed.

As for lighting, it's definitely too much. The watts per gallon rule is junk and only really applies to compacts anymore. (IMO) it all depends on the type, brand, kelvin, etc...too many variables out there to know.
But you are definitely over-lighted for sure, most of the time for people that want low light with a regular t5, a 1/2w/gallon or so is sufficcient these days.
Anyways, yeah, try raising it up a couple more inches, but don't bring it too high as there is a chance that your lights won't have enough PAR to cover the height you're raising them
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #239 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a Nerite in an unplanted tank and she crawls on the silk plants and eats the algae.

She completely rid that tank of algae in like 2 days and it was everywhere.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #240 
Nothingness

Quote:

@Nothingness- I was looking into nerites, too, but I heard they are too heavy to eat algae off delicate leaved plants. Do yours?
I have 6 amano shrimp that cover those duties for me
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou