Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #251 
FishyFishy89

LOL. The Super Pug does shed, but that would be WAY too much of her hair in the tank. She'd be bald!

Anyways, I think it's because of the current in there. I have 3 bubblers/removed the baffle from my filter to create extra O2 while treating for ich.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #252 
Stone

TY I hope he gets better too petco gave him too us because we tend to buy the sickly ones and nurse them back to health if we can sometime we do and other times we don't and when we don't we bring them back and exchange for another sickly one, so she took pity on us on the receipt it says fish donation/adoption my girlfriend just about started crying when she said we were not being charged for the fish. I wish we could rescue them all but we just can't we do as much as we can
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #253 
Sharpchick

10 gallon tank - one male crowntail betta, Dubya, with his 3 African dwarf frog tankmates.

Sponge filter, 50 w heater
El cheapo work light from the hardware store, with 13 w CFL. Photo period 10 hours per day
Gravel substrate
Driftwood

Flora:
Cryptocoryne parva
Java moss
Java fern
Echinodoras tenellus, pygmy chain sword
Echinodorus compacta
Vallisneria spiralis, spiral vals
Cabomba
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Hygrophila difformis, water wisteria
Ludwigia repens
Pennywort (floating)
Salvinia minima, water spangles (floating)
Frogbit (floating)

Fertilize twice weekly, alternating Fourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Root tabs for the swords and crypt

Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #254 
RiceFish

Awesome tank sharpchick! Like the "wild" look of it. Do you ever get brown algae growth on your white gravel? I have white gravel in my tank and it always gets covered with brown algae after a week >.< I'm dosing excel and Fourish Comprehensive
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #255 
Sharpchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceFish View Post
Awesome tank sharpchick! Like the "wild" look of it. Do you ever get brown algae growth on your white gravel? I have white gravel in my tank and it always gets covered with brown algae after a week >.< I'm dosing excel and Fourish Comprehensive
Thanks for the compliment.

No, I haven't had diatoms in this tank. It's about 2 years old and has been planted for about a year.

There's always some green algae on the filter tube, but for the most part, there are so many plants, they out-compete the algae.

I don't dose any carbon boosters because of the vals in most of my tanks. Vals melt really easily when you add carbon boosters.

And I don't inject CO2 either. All my tanks are very low tech, and I'm pretty merciless about ripping out a plant that doesn't perform well.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #256 
aemaki09

well, heres an updated picture of my 28.
I added co2 a week or two ago, and added some new types of stems: bacopa australis, ludwigia ovalis, myrio mattogrossense, telanthera, baby tears (regular), and rotala magenta. Oh, and 2 bunches of ludwigia repens.
seems like most everything is really starting to take off besides the telanthera, it had a lot of melt, I'm thinking it was because it had to change from emersed to submersed form. The rotala magenta seems to be having some issues as well, but not to where I need to pull it.

If anyone is looking for a great place to buy plants online, i highly recommend peabody's paradise LLC - (google it) -- they have amazing plants, send you much longer and more plants in a bunch than you would get most ther places, and they all looked fantastic.
I've never been so happy with a plant order. -- they literally came in with 8-12 stems per bunch and all but the baby tears were atleast 8" tall.

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #257 
Elsewhere

Divided 10g, houses two male Bettas. Currently only one Java Fern and one Medium Sword, but you will see plants in other tanks that will soon be transferred to make them a jungle :)

10g with two Golden Mystery Snails. Baby/sick plants tank. 7 Medium Swords, 2 Green Cabomba, 1 Anubias, 1 Jungle Valisneria, 1 Java Fern, 1 Water Wisteria.

5g containing one littler blind girl that didn't do well in sorority life. Currently only one little Java Fern, soon to be a few more plants, but not too many- I don't want to confuse her :)

My big tank... 10 girl sorority with 5 Cories in it. Too many plants to count, they seem to multiply daily, but I'll at least name the types! Water Wisteria, Medium Sword, Green Cabomba, Jungle Valisneria, Corkscrew Valisneria, "Mystery Plant(s)".

Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #258 
Sharpchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
well, heres an updated picture of my 28.
I added co2 a week or two ago, and added some new types of stems: bacopa australis, ludwigia ovalis, myrio mattogrossense, telanthera, baby tears (regular), and rotala magenta. Oh, and 2 bunches of ludwigia repens.
seems like most everything is really starting to take off besides the telanthera, it had a lot of melt, I'm thinking it was because it had to change from emersed to submersed form. The rotala magenta seems to be having some issues as well, but not to where I need to pull it.

If anyone is looking for a great place to buy plants online, i highly recommend peabody's paradise LLC - (google it) -- they have amazing plants, send you much longer and more plants in a bunch than you would get most ther places, and they all looked fantastic.
I've never been so happy with a plant order. -- they literally came in with 8-12 stems per bunch and all but the baby tears were atleast 8" tall.

What's your lighting on the tank?
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #259 
Sharpchick

Lucky and Ivan are in "twin" Aqueon Evolve 4s. I had to stick a sheet of blue plastic between them to keep them from flaring at each other constantly.

Lucky's re-scape at the end of March

Ivan's re-scape, also end of March

Papa Smurf in his planted bowl (yes, it's heated)
Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #260 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
10 gallon tank - one male crowntail betta, Dubya, with his 3 African dwarf frog tankmates.

Sponge filter, 50 w heater
El cheapo work light from the hardware store, with 13 w CFL. Photo period 10 hours per day
Gravel substrate
Driftwood

Flora:
Cryptocoryne parva
Java moss
Java fern
Echinodoras tenellus, pygmy chain sword
Echinodorus compacta
Vallisneria spiralis, spiral vals
Cabomba
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Hygrophila difformis, water wisteria
Ludwigia repens
Pennywort (floating)
Salvinia minima, water spangles (floating)
Frogbit (floating)

Fertilize twice weekly, alternating Fourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Root tabs for the swords and crypt

Gorgeous tank!
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou