Thanks!
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #262 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
What's your lighting on the tank?
Finnex Ray2 LED's 24".
Went with just the regular lights rather than double bright but I'm still in moderate-high light range with it.
They are really sweet lights that come very highly recommended from everyone I've talked to with planted tanks. Kind of pricey IMO, but not bad for LED's, I paid $96 for tem on amazon.com

Last edited by aemaki09; 05-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #263 
ao
TFK Moderator

nice!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #264 
mushumouse

i got a new light for my existing tank this week... and wow! that frogbit was struggling for life with no root whatsoever for ages, it's really been exploding! i'm hoping this is a sign of lots of new growth to come from the rest of my plants too, and i'm giving my poor little nub of a bananna plant a try again to see if it likes the new light better. trimmed a double fistful of java moss off the driftwood yesterday because it was getting full of cyanobacteria, but now the back of the tank looks pretty bare... i'd appreciate any suggestions for tall things to stick back there, maybe something red, there's going to be a lot of empty space once i put that extra filter into my new tank next month.

Last edited by mushumouse; 05-06-2013 at 12:08 AM.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #265 
lilyth88

They aren't the neatest tanks in the world. They used to be, until the shrimp decided they wanted dirt on top of the sand instead of under it. I don't really mind all that much. Gives it more of a "natural" look and it doesn't hurt anything. Without further ado, my two 5 gallons. (Note: my moss balls look brown because I just turned them, and there's dirt on them.)

Tank #1: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia Nana, Dwarf Sag, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Chronos the Veil-Tail Slightly-Mustard-Gas Betta
4 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail
1 Unknown Snail that snuck in on a plant. When we discovered
him, he was the size of a pinhead, now he's as large as the
Nerite.

Tank #2: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Anacharis, Micro-Sword, Narrow-Leaf Java Fern, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Echo the Dragonscale Plakat Betta
5 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail

Last edited by lilyth88; 05-21-2013 at 04:03 PM.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #266 
Gallium

This is my older 10 gallon. All the plants are common ones you can get at any large pet store with the exception of microphyllium sp. I recently started rebuilding in a 30g show tank. Long, tall, and narrow. Hopefully it'll come out looking like this tank did! I'm incorporating more mosses, anubias, and a trident leaf java fern. It'll house my sorority when I find compatible females for it.

Last edited by Gallium; 05-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #267 
Gallium

Whoops, ran out of editing time to explain the tank.

-Extremely low tech (No c02, no ferts)
-low light tropical tank (20w strip, 78F)
-Ghost & cherry shrimp, neon tetras, albino cherry barb, ramshorn, mini ramshorn, pond, and bladder snails.
The plants are all common petshop plants, with the exception of microphyllium sp. in the far left. The valisinera was attacked by BBS algae so I mowed it down in the second photo and you can see my ugly filter haha.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #268 
OrangeAugust

Awesome tanks, gallium!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #269 
jesssan2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
They aren't the neatest tanks in the world. They used to be, until the shrimp decided they wanted dirt on top of the sand instead of under it. I don't really mind all that much. Gives it more of a "natural" look and it doesn't hurt anything. Without further ado, my two 5 gallons. (Note: my moss balls look brown because I just turned them, and there's dirt on them.)

Tank #1: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia Nana, Dwarf Sag, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Chronos the Veil-Tail Slightly-Mustard-Gas Betta
4 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail
1 Unknown Snail that snuck in on a plant. When we discovered
him, he was the size of a pinhead, now he's as large as the
Nerite.

Tank #2: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Anacharis, Micro-Sword, Narrow-Leaf Java Fern, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Echo the Dragonscale Plakat Betta
5 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail

are those Hawkeye tanks? if so then I have the same ones and have been wondering what plants can be grown with the light? did you use the same light the kit came with of did you replace it? if you replaced it what light are you using?
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #270 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
are those Hawkeye tanks? if so then I have the same ones and have been wondering what plants can be grown with the light? did you use the same light the kit came with of did you replace it? if you replaced it what light are you using?
They are. I'm using the lights the tanks came with. I've considered changing, but judging by how often I trim them, the plants are doing fine. You can see a plant list on my original post.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou